vitamin k?

Today I am 35 weeks pregnant. My neurlogist said I have to take them 30 days prior to delivery. Does anyone know what vitamin k is going to help me with? Does everyone take them before delivery?

jessduncan77

Asked by jessduncan77 at 10:13 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think our son actually had a Vitamin K shot right after birth and then had to have one exactly 30 days later...I believe that was the Vitamin K shot, but it was so long ago, lol. I am 37 weeks pregnant though and I know I didn't have a Vitamin K shot this time around, nor do I remember having one the last time around either.
    MommyToSmeech

Answer by MommyToSmeech at 10:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Vitamin K helps your blood clot. Not everyone takes it. In the U.S. the majority of newborns have an injection of vit. k to prevent hemmorrhage from the umbiliccal stump.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:23 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Is there a reason, like are you getting surgery or do you have a blood clotting issue? Vit. K wont hurt at all and if you do have a blood clotting issue it can help you clot.

Infants are given the vit. k shot after birth (well, not my children), to prevent a very rare issue of bleeding in the brain. BUT vit. K drops are safer, and if a mother is breastfeeding she can up her vit. k intake. Formula has too much vit. k so the shot isn't needed either.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Well I am having a csection around march 24th. My dd (15 months) never had the vitamin k. shot. .
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• that may be why they want you to take vit. k. to help with clotting.

did you request dd not to get the shot? it's routine in almost every hospital, just like hep b. Not saying I don't believe you, but it's so routine that parents who inform them they do not want it have even had hospitals give it out of habit lol.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:19 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• They told me she got 1 shot. And that was for heb b. Would they have written on her vaccine card if they gave her the vit k shot? Im just curious?
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009