How do I get my 13 month old daughter to start drinking out of a sippy cup? Every time I offer it to her she throws it down and starts crying. The more I offer it to her the madder she gets.

soonergirlok

Asked by soonergirlok at 10:28 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is it a soft nipple or a hard one?
    We use Nuby and they are soft. We switched my son over at 9 months and he didn't have a problem.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• try another brand of cup. If she does the same maybe she's not ready yet.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• what are you putting in it? is she taking any of it at all?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:38 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• They are soft nipples, and I've tried several different kinds of cups. I've tried juice, milk and water and she won't take any of it. As soon as she puts it to her mouth and realizes that it's different, she won't have anything to do with it at all.
    soonergirlok

Answer by soonergirlok at 10:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Uh oh, IDK.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:57 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• yea idk either i never had a problem switching from bottle to cup
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Offer a straw cup or a regular cup to play with. Some kids don't use sippy cups at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Let her play with her sippy cup a few time during the day. Start drinking out of a sippy cup in front of her so she sees you using it. Try the straw ones (i have to take the inside straws out since my little one doesn't understand not to tip it), get a transition cup, i think the dr. browns one has the multi stage transition for babies who are really adamant about not drinking from a sippy.
    chipper87

Answer by chipper87 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I just switched her over, and she took it. It was a hard transition because she didn't like them either, but I think a straw cup might help her ease into it.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• We use a sipp with a straw. It worked really well.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009