Is it ok to watch my nephew today?

My nephew is 7 months old and he has an ear infection. He has had diareha for a week or so. My sister's boyfriend asked me if I can watch him for a couple hours today he has to help his brother with something and she has to work. I asked if he still was sick he said no. I told him that my mom told me he had direhea he said he did, but I guess the dr told his mom when his mom took him to the dr cause my sister had to work he said that the dr said it was the infection coming out from the ear infection. Can that be true? I have a 3.5 yr old and a 13 month old. 13 month old just got over diareha and so did I an now my kids and I have a cold. I don't want them to get it again. Can it be from the ear infection???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If this baby were going to a licensed day care they would ask that the child be free of diarrhea for 24 hours before returning to the daycare. It is very likely it is due to the antibiotics, but if it started bf the meds then I'd be suspicious. An ear infection can stem from a viral infection that may be contagious.

You are the mom. If your kids have been sick recently and you want to be a little extra cautious right now I think that makes sense and is in no way being overprotective.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes, they can get the runs from an ear infection. Is your nephew on an antibiotic? Then that could also be the cause of the runs. my boys get that when on antibiotics. Ear infections are not contagious so your kids should be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Antibotics can cause diahrrea. Also, if he's teething, all the drool could add to it as well. My daughter has never had diahrrea from the ear infection though, only the meds. It could also be a reacation to new foods if he's on food. So many things it could be that it's pointless to worry. Trying to shelter your kids from these little things isn't usually worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• yes he is on antibiotics. He had the runs bf the meds
    Anonymous

• I am not trying to shelter my kids. It is for the fact that if he is sick then I don't want him over here. I think you would want the same if you new a child is sick I am sure you wouldn't want your child around that child
    Anonymous

• Yes, it can be from the infx. and the antibiotics. It's your call, if you watch him (since it's not almost 4:30 I'm sure it doesn't matter what I say), just besure you clean your hands very well after diaper changes. But you can use this advice you've gotten here if this comes up again! I hope he feels better soon, I have a sick kido, too. Except we 'think' it's a virus. Yuck.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• the ear infection wont casue diarrhea but the antibiotics for the ear infection will. Give him baby yogurt to stop the diarrhea
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009