How do you feel about R-rated movies?

Do you always avoid viewing R-Rated films? I know for some it may be against their religious beliefs and just wondered what the reason was. I am selective in movies I watch, for instance I never go to see bloody, gory, overly violent, horror movies.
I asked my friend to go see SlumDog Millionare and she said she couldn't because she was a Jehovah Witness and was not allowed to see R-rated movies. How about you? What are your thoughts?

WishyClarkson

Asked by WishyClarkson at 11:21 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on the movie... nothing to do with religion... I personally do not like scary type movies...
    If there is  R-rated or pg-13 that our gs (8) wants to watch we will review it first and then decide wither or not he can watch it...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Our family does not watch R rated movies, we are Christians, for us it just has too much filth, language, that type of stuff. It's more of a personal conviction for us.
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It depends on why it's R rated. If it's R rated for violence, then we will watch it. We try to avoid movies that have nudity or a lot of sexual innuendo.

My children, however, do not watch anything over PG. And even then I watch it first to make sure it's okay or I'll read a review online.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the films subject and why it's rated R... I don't mind my kids hearing language but I don't want them watching SAW or anything. And we only watch movies the kids can see because we don't get kid free time yet...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• When I was growing up we were taught to avoid them. The church requested we avoid them as they werent good for us.

Nowadays...if it looks good Ill go see it regardless of rating.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I personally don't like anything that is "dark" in nature. I don't particularly care for the horror films especially. But that doesn't have to do with my religion. That has to do with my psyche. I don't like my "Light" being damaged by evil forces. Now that doesn't mean that I won't watch an R rated movie. I watch many movies that contain what Christians may deam as "unChristian" material but that is up to me, not the majority. If a movie has a good message, despite its language or sexual exploitation or violence, I will watch it.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• There are plenty of movies that get the R rating that are worth watching. I don't pay attention to the rating though. If I think it will be a good movie I watch it. All of you who don't watch movies regardless of what the story is, just because it's R rated are missing a lot of good informative movies.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I don't look at ratings on movies any more. When I was growing up my parents let us girls watch what ever we wanted and we did watch a lot of horror films ;). I just got use to not checking the rating. My husband grew up the opposite. He wasn't allowed to watch anything over PG-13 even when he was 17. When I want to watch a horror film, I usually warn him early on so if he doesn't want to be in the room, he can use the desk and such upstairs. It's worked for us so far :).
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 1:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I don't go see movies most have so much immorality in them it is ridiculous. I did see Fireproof and have gone to a few childrens movies with my son. I tend to read and we play games as a family. We only have one TV and it is rarely on.
    Anonymous

• I dont watch them the only movies that I watch is christian movies

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009