Impetigo Rules and Regulations

I've had an interesting experience. One of the kids came down with the absolutely worst case of impetigo I've ever seen. I sent the child home immediately after he arrived when doing the entry check. His parents insist the Doctor said it wasn't contagious. In the past I've been infected by kids I refused to admit the child. They told me both Doctors said it wasn't contagious, yet all our information in child care says it is. Today this parent argued with me that it's not contagious that only we childcare providers insist it is. My contract also states we don't permit it in childcare. If Doctors are telling parents it's okay for drooling, runny impetigo being admittable in child care settings what are we to do? Am I wrong, or am I right?

blueeyes9999

Asked by blueeyes9999 at 11:29 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Impetigo is VERY contagious, it is caused from Staph bacteria, those parents are just not wanting to stay home from work to take care of thier child.

Impetigo, a contagious skin infection that usually produces blisters or sores on the face, neck, hands, and diaper area is one of the most common skin infections among kids.

It is generally caused by one of two bacteria: staphylococcus aureus or group A streptococcus. Impetigo usually affects preschool and school-age children. A child may be more likely to develop impetigo if the skin has already been irritated by other skin problems, such as eczema, poison ivy, and insect bites.

Good hygiene can help prevent impetigo, which often develops when there is a sore or a rash that has been scratched repetitively (for example, poison ivy can get infected and turn into impetigo). Impetigo is typically treated with either an antibiotic cream or medication taken by mouth.

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:45 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My doctor told me that it was contagious. I had to wash my hands very well because I didn't want anyone else getting it.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:26 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Do what the person who signs your check says to do. (That is the daycare center). You did right, they need to take it to someone over you if they have a problem. They can bring a note from the doc but only let your supervisor accept it. It is not worth losing your job just to shut them up.you rock

KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have always heard that it is VERY contagious. You can simply state our rules say no kids with impetigo. It may help to request some sort of info from your local Health Dept. I know that at my kids school they have letters from the Health Dept. that go home when kids have certain infectious things (chicken pox, lice, whopping cough strep throat) to alert parents that children at the school may have been exposed. Maybe the HD has one on impetigo?
    While you need to follow the rules and shouldn't back down, that can be an easy out for you to hand the parents a letter from the HD!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It's my home care facility and it's even in my contract. Why in the world would Doctors at Kaiser be telling parents it's not contagious?
    blueeyes9999

Answer by blueeyes9999 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 26, 2009

• I must continue this message, I caught the staph infection thereafter as he sneeze in my face, then I had two bouts of pinkeye afterward. Now some hundreds of dollars later, pain, sight problems it's finally end. What a horrible flu, viral, pinkeye, impetigo year we've had to date. No matter how well we clean it spreads through like lightening.
    blueeyes9999

Answer by blueeyes9999 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• In your shoes I wouldn't allow the child to stay either. My daughter has mild impetigo, no runny sores, just tiny bumps, and my doc said it wasn't really contagious and just maybe keep her away from other kids for 24 hours. Then I googled impetigo and there's no way I would subject other children to this until it's 100% gone! You're doing the right thing. Good job. :)
    madisongrace

Answer by madisongrace at 12:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2009