My soon to be 4 year old is going through this weird phase....

My son will be 4 in april. I have another son who turned 1 in jan. Recently well for awhile we have been trying to potty train him and putting a BIG emphasis on him being a BIG BOY! The past few weeks he is saying he wear pull ups and the baby wears diapers. I shuld say that we havent had any luck with potty training....recently he has started whining alot,telling me he needs changed and when the baby needs changed he has been i guess regeressing and acting like a baby. Is he trying to get attention? We have family dinners on friday nights and the past 2 weeks he doesnt want to play with the other kids he stays with us wherever we are (usually have the baby with us). 3 days last weeks he cried and didnt want to go with me when i picked him up from preschoool which he is usually running to the door..i cant figure this out! Is he jealous? Is it a phase? maybe this is why is doesnt want to go to the potty? please help!!

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 11:37 AM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like he has started noticing how his little bro. is being treated. He might even realize how much he has missed being cuddled, etc. Be patient with him. Sometimes, they do pretend. It is a phase that he will eventually outgrow.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• mine did the same. when you are taking care of the baby, talk to him about how you did the exact same thing for him when he was a baby. the more i talked about what i did for him, the better he felt about what i was doing for the new baby. kids can be funny, some equate getting 'special treatment' or being a 'big boy' only as different, and in turn they think they are loved differently.
    also, for mine, he loves to help me with the baby as much as possible. it makes him feel 'big' and that he's with me but keeping tabs on where the baby is as well.
    hope some of this helps...
    pat7879

Answer by pat7879 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I agree with the posters above me.

Another good way to get him to stop is for him to see that he's a big brother now and mommy needs his help. Ask him to bring you the diaper wipes and get a few our you. Ask him to help you brush the babys hair. Ask him to carry something of the new babys things, maybe a pack of wipes when in the grocery store. Let him hear you speak to family (or even on the phone when no ones on the other line) of how he's such a good boy always helping mommy and how good of a big brother he is. It worked with my little cousins ;)
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 11:30 AM on Feb. 27, 2009