How do you quit your job when you work for family?

I started working for my family shortly after they started their business. I should point out that they asked me to work for them, I was not interested in working for until they came to me. At first it was good. I was to be able to work from home and only had to go in a few days a week. That shortly changed. It gradually increased to me having to be ther every day. Well it wouldn't be so bad if I did't have an hour commute each way. My kids went to school by our house, so if they needed me, it was at least an hour before I could get to them. After two years, the cost of gas and all the stress, we like many others lost our house due to forclosure. It didn't seem so bad, b/c now we were able to move closer and I didn't have the long commute. Well, "my boss" seems to think that b/c we are family, he is allowed to yell at us and treat us like crap. continued..... (sorry its long)

4monkees

Asked by 4monkees at 12:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• He is always telling us how bad we do thngs. No matter what we do it is not good enough. He is constantly putting us down. I seriously dread when he calls my house. B/c I am scared he is gonna yell @ me. Everytime I go over there, to his house, I get yelled @ for something. I just want to quit and I have told him that he needs to stop yelling at me, but he only does for a about 2 hours and then it starts back up again. I am so stressed out over this I am literally making myself sick. I have taken off 3 days in that last year. I am here all the time. Even when I go home I am still working. One of the family members I work w/ thinks he is bi-polar. I don't think he is bi-polar, I think he is just really stressed out and doesn't know to deal w/ it. Well I'm sorry but I didn't sign up to be is punching bag. So my question is how do I tell him I quit?
    4monkees

Answer by 4monkees at 12:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• BUMP
    Anonymous

• I guess since it is family and you don't want them to hold anything over your head you should give a 2 weeks notice. Write down or type a letter that says of todays date please be notified of my 2 weeks notice. My final day will be on.... He will probably be pissed and yell, but teel him you have thought alot about it and it is the best decision for you and your family that you hope there willbe no hard feelings. It will take time for them to get over, but you have to do whats best for you. Just be polite, professional and brief. You don't have to give a hundred reasons...just say your sorry and tough out the 2 weeks if they even let you stay. If he gets mad and sends you home count your blessings and soak in a hot tub!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• just like you told us...only maybe a little nicer. Just tell him it isnt working out for you and you need to be able to spend more time at home with your family. Yes, he's probably going to pissed but he'll get over it.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Just say (after you have found another job) that you feel since you are not doing a good job as evidenced by all of his fits that you will no longer be working for him. Also you could say you just need a job where people won't call you after you have gone home because when you are home, you are mom/wife/etc. I'd say this very nicely and tell them you are quitting, you already have another job. Do not extend help or help when they are short. He has burned his brige first of all and it will put you back in this pos again. If you do not need the money or another job, just say my family needs me at home and let that be it. Good luck.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009