I need some quick advice...

ugh, I am terrified of the dentist, I can give birth no problem, but for some freakin reason I HATE the dentist, how can I just relax I have an appointment in 30 mins...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• have a few drinks no just joking i dont know i always get nervous too good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• First thing -- let the dentist know you are uncomfortable being there. They deal with this a lot and can help you if you only ask. Second -- keep breathing. Great big deep breaths. remember your deep breathing from childbirth class? same thing
    good luck
    redhddiva

Answer by redhddiva at 12:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I feel your pain sister! I go tomorrow for some major work. My Dentist gives me some Valium to take an hour before...granted I now have to have a rid to and from but once it kicks in and he says root canal I say sure I'll take two! It helps me a lot. Good luck. Tell your dentist your fears and see if he will give you a little dogie downer before you go.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I hate the dentist too, I always freak out if I am going for anything more than a cleaning! And it's never as bad as I think it's going to be though. But for people who REALLY have trouble, they do have the laughing gas or whatever it is. I had to sign some form saying if I wanted to have the gas for any procedures lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have a huge hole in my tooth it is almost completely rotten and I still have not made a dentist appointment. What can you do?
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• exactly.. take a valium.. or some Ibuprofen.. it'll help with any pain and discomfort afterwards.. I try to meditate while I'm sitting in the waiting room but yeah.. its horrifying! I hate the dentist!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My mom gets the laughing gas too and it is very helpful. she would have a panic attack without it. You are still alert and know everything they are doing and saying, but it calms your nerves. My 6 yr old daughter had it and had no problems with it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have panic attacks when I have to go there and I love my dentist! He would never harm me. I just stay focused on something else. I mentally go to another place. He has a poster on the ceiling and I just go there!

Answer by admckenzie at 12:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Definitley ask for some xanax or valium to take prior to the procedure. The navy pretty much assaulted and damaged my mouth so now I have a lot of dental work to have done and fear of dentists as well. Nothing like hearing a dentist tell you to "suck it up" while he removes a nerve during a root canal because the tooth wouldn't get numb. I found a dentist who understands my anxiety and he is in and out fast. Honestly, if I could pay a dentist to just knock me out and do all the required work in one setting, I would in a heartbeat.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009