Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Sort of Legal question....

Okay, I currently attend a college full-time and I have 3 children and I am married. Okay well, my youngest son is not my husband's and my son's grandmother agreed to watch my son during the week (all week) so I can go to school and not worry about a babysitter. I agreed with her and so he stays with her through the week and I get him on weekends because she lives about 35 miles away from me. It kills me not to see him, but I look at this way.... I am trying to do better for me and my family. do you agree with me? Well, now the grandmother is getting upset because I told her that I will be getting him back in a few months for good because I will be finished with school. Can she legally take and keep him away from me or get custody of him or anything like that? I am so afraid that she can and I truly do not want that atl all. So you have any advice or insights on this situation?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Does the state in your area have a program you could get help with a daycare?? There would have to be acourt case for her to establish custody. And yeah there could be come issues raised but remember mom first and education second. I have been there I was a single mom with my oldest and it was tough. But he came first and then everything else. It is hard, but there are programs to help you with daycare. Yes they should have abond and I let my son go on Spring breaks and so forth to keep that contact cause we lived apart. But be careful!!! And good luck!

    Answer by motheroftwin326 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • I would start picking him up everyday and bringing him home at night. If she did decide to go to court over it, they might look at the fact that he's there almost full time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • I wouldn't think she can, but I would continue to let them have a relationship. She is probably really bonded with him and if she knows you will be open to them spending alot of time together she probably wouldn't try anything. I would try to thank her and make her a personal gift for with his handprints and maybe make a schedule where she ill watch him 1 day a week or something so they can still be close.

    Answer by ria7 at 12:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • They could look at it as child abandonment. They could say that you are leaving the child in her care. You need to start taking your child home everyday and maybe cutting back classes or something. But yes, she does have a right to take you to court over it and could possibly win. She spends more time with your son than you do so she has a case.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • I agree with above, you should also being paying support money to her if you're not already.


    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • Okay thank ya'll so much!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • i agree with anon 11:18. I know its tough, I'm a full time student/single parent and I have a part time job. However, my son doesnt spend nights away from me. I know that you are trying to do better for him but in the long run the relationship with you is going to be better for him than the kind of life you can give him with a degree. I'm not saying you should quit school but you should figure out another way to do it.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009