Is there a cap on welfare benefits?

For some reason, I thought that a family could only get welfare benefits for 3 years.
Why, I don't know.

But is there a time frame? Do you think that there should be one IF there isn't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Depends on where you live. I know here in Ohio it's 2
    Anonymous

• i was told there was but it doesn't seem to be enforce very well cause i know someone that has been getting it for yrs. it would vary from state to state though.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• BTW, yes I think there should be a time limit on welfare. I knew a girl who got her education through welfare and is now working for our county. She did better herself and not live off of it.

Anonymous

• In NM, I believe the limit is 60 months for cash assistance. I could be wrong but I know there is a time limit. recipients also have to work or volunteer a certain amount of hours unless they have a reason to be exempt.
    Anonymous

• In oklahoma you can only be on cash assistance for 3 months before you have to look for a job or go to school. If you dont do either you are cut off. If you find a job or start school then you are able to stay on cash assistance. It only pays like $300 a month no matter who you are. I could be wrong on the amount though.
    Anonymous

• Yep.
    Anonymous

• yes, there are. and most have a cap on money and food stamps
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have no idea, but I would hope that there would be, or at least some type of follow up to make sure something is being done on the recipient's behalf to make sure they are trying to get off assistance and be self supporting.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• In Indiana, food stamps are based on income (so if you have none, or a low paying job, you qualify) and there are no limits as far as I know. TANF (cash benefits) is restricted to the point that you can only get it for 12 months. However, if you haven't had a job for awhile, they will give you a choice - keep your benefits and come into the welfare office for 40 hours a week and apply for jobs via the internet, take a 3 week CNA course to get a job, or lose your benefits.

I appreciate the state governmnet putting a limit on welfare recipients
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 2:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I believe here in NH it's a 3 year limit, but if you have another kid, you get another 3 years from the time it's born... up to a certain amount of time. So you can "renew" your welfare by having another baby you can't take care of, but after a certain number of years/kids the state says "that's enough"
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009