Do they make an antibiotic shot for pets?

My kitties are going to the vet tomorrow. Ironically, I think they both have bladder infections or UTI's. I've dealt with this before with my male cat and he was nearly impossible to treat with oral antibiotics. Does anyone know if they make an antibiotic in the form of a shot so I don't have to go chasing him through the house 2 times a day??

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pets

• I am at work now and it is called convenia I was wrong about the name! Sorry it's still new to me! Good luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:38 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

• Yes they do. My cat had a uti as well and I opted for the shot instead of a bottle of meds and it lasts longer too up to 14 days. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Our cats usually get a shot at the vets' as well as the pills that we have to give twice a day. I am going to ask next time about getting the kind of shot that gets rid of the need for the pills.

Answer by Bmat at 7:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• There is nothing that is a one time shot deal.. you might be able to go home daily shots, but that probably it. They should be able to mix up a concotion at a local pharmacy with the antibitocs that tastes good and you can mix in with food or give orally that the cat will enjoy.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 8:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes it's called Cerinia (sp?) and it's relatively new our clinic just got it his month it last 14 days!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

wow.. thats cool then. I havent worked in a vet office for a year, so I had no idea.. usually my friends keep me updated on new stuff though. I was a vet tech for 10 years.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 9:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Good! I hope my vet has this available! It would definately eliminate the headache of digging him out frmo underneath a bed or chasing him like a dog through the house! Once you do something to tick him off, he loses all trust in you so there's no sweet-talking that boy!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009