I need help with my almost 3 1/2 year old son????

My son is such a smart, sweet loving boy, but he is always in trouble at school/daycare lately. The teacher has called me twice in the last couple weeks with him in the office, putting him on the phone to see if I can talk to him and get him to straighten up. He kicks, pushes, and is mean to his "friends". Friday I had to sign an incident report because he bit someone, and today when the director called she said he was hitting kids and the teachers. I dont know what to do, I dont have real behavior problems with him at home, just the normal 3 year old stuff. He told me he doesnt like the school because he is always on time out and going to the office, I told him if he was a good boy and used his listening skills this would not be happening. Oh forgot to mention he cries really bad almost every day when I drop him off but they say he is fine within minutes, when I ask him why he does this he says I dont know.HELP

jpsma804

Asked by jpsma804 at 12:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would take him out of there and take away his toys till he learns to behave better.
    Anonymous

• Has he been going here for awhile ? That is a big thing to consider here, to determine if this is the right environment or if something new is going on.

Actually either way I would drop in and observe to see what is going on and how the teacher handles things. Every daycare should have an open door policy for parents. Obviously for some reason with the crying and acting out he does not want to be there.

I would love to help more, but just not sure on the whole situation, how many hours he is there, how long he has been there etc..You can't go wrong with observing though.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Are the other kids and teachers being mean to him? Have they tried a more positive approach? It sounds like they are really negatvie and negative reinforcement does not work well with this age group. This week, if possible, I would make a surprise visit at lunch and see kinda for myself what is going on.

Next time he is doing wrong and they put him on the phone say "you are a good boy, why did you do what you did?' And listen mom. He may tell you exactly what you need to know. Oh and they need to praise him the next time he goes all day and is nice, and you need to praise him too. Honestly, I smell a rat in this situation.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 1:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If he is fine at home and doesn't like going I would wonder what's going on at the preschool. I think I would take him out.
    Anonymous