potty training?

My 21 month old son was showing all the signs he was ready to start potty training. He was trying to take his dirty diapers off...and succeeded once lol and then i was changing a poopy diaper and he still had to pee cause his penis was sticking up in the air so i was trying to hurry and he was pointing to the bathroom door. he hides from me now when he poops...so I went out and bought him a potty of his own and now he won't go on it...he stood up and peed on the floor lol any tips on how to get him to go for that first time...cause I think once he goes on it one time he would be okay. Advice Please.

LOVE2bMOMMY525

Asked by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• both my DD's wouldn't use the potty chair. My first was 19 months when she was fully trained. I bght her a potty chair she wouldn't use it so I put her on the big potty it took a month after that she used the big potty, but we were on a one floor apartment. Now with my youngest she is 13.5 months old and she ispotty trained she still has an accident here and there though, but not everyday. We have 2 store floor house now so I wanted a potty chair for her so I didn't have to go up and down stairs with her all day, but it didn't work she uses thebig potty we been doing this for amonth now and she still wont use the little potty. So try the big potty once and see if it helps. Also let him see you go afew times. My girls when they were learning always seen me or hubby go I think that's why they took right to it.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like he's not quite ready yet. I thought my twins were ready at that age. We'd put them on the potty before bath time because that was easiest. They'd sit but nothing ever happened so we decided to wait and try again later.

They're 27 mos now and when the warm weather comes we're going to give it a real go.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am not sure, he sounds ready to me. I think that he just doesn't realize the point of the potty yet. I would suggest, like the first post said, putting him on the big potty. At walmart they have seats that make your actual toilet seat smaller so it is more comfortable for kids and you don't have to worry about them falling in!!! My daughter loves it, but she never had a problem with her little potty. So I am not sure if this is going to help or not but it is a suggestion. And I would also suggest that if he starts hating the potty, STOP and just go back to it in a few weeks. Best of luck, let us know how it goes!
    bmotterbacher

Answer by bmotterbacher at 2:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My sister use to throw Cheerios into the toilet and tell my nephew to aim for them. He thought it was a great game. Or they also told him to "make bubbles" in the potty. I know it sounds crazy, but it worked for him.
    cassandrans

Answer by cassandrans at 12:25 AM on Feb. 24, 2009