Am I wrong???

Okay, so my sister has led the most dysfunctional life I have ever seen. She has been abused, she has allowed her children to abused physically by her, and her boyfriends, and her boyfriends families. She has allowed them to be sexually abused by her boyfriends mothers, these kids were taken from her at one point and abused by their foster mother, for crying out loud. The oldest daughter is now in a lesbian relationship with her first cousin and the younger daughter as of right now at 14 is boy crazy and mouthy(typical teenager, I know). My problem is that my mother wants me to allow these girls to babysit my four children, all of which are under 7 years old. I have a sitter through my other sisters boys, both of which are very involved with the upbringing of their younger sister. I feel like allowing my nieces to babysit is just asking for trouble. Am I wrong to make this assumption? Am I just being mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• I wouldn't let them babysit but I would have them in my home as much as I could. They've had a horrible life. I would try to show them what life is supposed to be like. And try to teach them morals.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i think youre right. it doesnt matter if they are your sisters kids or not, if you dont feel comfortable with it dont do it! stick with your gut.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think you're right. You have to do what makes YOU comfortable. If you have a bad feeling you need to go with it. You have that feeling for a reason.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 12:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• She wants troubled teens to watch your children? I don't think so. Once abused (especially at a young age) many tend to abuse others about the same age they were when it happened. They repeat the cycle. I wouldn't put my children in that vulnerable position. I'm not blaming the girls. I'm just saying protect your children from a potential harm. Bless their hearts Those ppl did so much damage to the psyches of those girls. That's such a shame. Some days I think we should all weep for the children (of abuse)

Answer by admckenzie at 12:56 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I know, but now my mother is furious with me, and calling me a horrible person, and saying that I shelter my kids too much, I don't know how this is my family. It's like some sick cosmic joke. I should have just kept my mouth shut.
    Anonymous

• Not saying I would have let them watch them just saying I should not have let them in on my husband and I's belief about the cycle.
    Anonymous

• I would NOT allow them to baby-sit... coming over when you and your husband are home that should be an option... but letting them ALONE with your babies.. is too much of a risk.. Go with your gut feeling.. it's there for a reason!
    amber_1024

Answer by amber_1024 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Thank you ladies, I guess all I really needed was validation for my feelings, I can't let them watch my kids and unfortunately this is causing problems, my family will just have to get over it. Again thanks to all of you that answered.
    Anonymous