How can I get my son to poop in the potty?

My son has been peeing in the potty for a while- not consistently, but enough to show me that he understands how to do it. He refuses to poop in the potty. He knows when he has to poop, but he insists on pooping in his Pull-up. This past weekend his big brother (my stepson who lives primarily with his mother) came down and Jake refused to use the potty at all! He gets a sticker when he pees and a Twix bar when he poops, but bribing him to poop in his potty still doesn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try? I have tried candy, making him sit in it, letting him wear underwear, and giving him special privleges, like drinking coke or staying up a little past his bedtime. I am at my wit's end! Any advice will help. Thanks!

kidlovesbatman

Asked by kidlovesbatman at 1:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You are making too much of him pooping in the potty. Just relax a bit and he will "eventually" come around. I know it makes you crazy, but you just have to try to put it in perspective. He will do it when he gets ready to do it and nothing you do or say will change a thing. Once you realize this fact-----it will all go much smoother. I am saying this as a Gramma of 3 kids and 6 grandkids. And my daughter is goin thru the same thing as you are, and she is just as frustrated. But hold on to your wits. It WILL get BETTER. Good luck and hope you win this battle soon.
    calebsmom0110

Answer by calebsmom0110 at 6:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Many kids have a hard time doing poop in the potty bc they feel like its a part of them. It's more solid then pee so they feel like oh no they are flushing down a piece of themselves. I made my son clean up his own mess. If he went in his pull up he pulled off his pull up and wiped as much of his butt as he could reach, and if any got on the floor he cleaned that up too. He didnt like this. it took too much time away from play time. Also, you might try paying attention to when his regular poopoo time is and sit him on the toilet at that time. leave him there for as long as it takes. he will only be able to hold it for so long.
    Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My DD wasn't potty trained until after she turned 3, and like you, was afraid to go poops on the potty...it all changed by accident. She had big girl underwear on and I caught her starting to poop in them, I grabbed her and sat her down on the potty, by then she had already gone in her underwear and I just emptied her underpants into the toilet, but then I made a big stink about how great it was that she did it and she got to see her poop in the potty and flush it down and then she got a reward... our Ped said to go to the $1 store and buy 10 things, wrap them up and put them on top of the fridge. In our situation, that was a much bigger motivator than candy.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• how old is he? i would stop having him wear pull-ups because i think that they are a security blanket for them. we gave my step-son undies that had action figures and such on them so when he pooped in them and we had to throw them away he felt bad and didn't like it. i think it helped him. but i know this wouldn't work for everyone. he was pretty well ready to be completely potty trained. we never did the stars or other rewards.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Candy worked for me. She would get one M&M for going potty and two for poop. But when two was not enough incentive we changed it to a lollipop. It did not matter if it was 8am, if she pooped in the potty she got one. I have to say that I like the $1 store idea.
    stacy77

Answer by stacy77 at 8:16 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Im haivng the same exact problem.. I mean i know that I put a foot ball on the shelf and told told him when he poops he can have it.. the foot ball is still on the shelf.... Just keep trying.. My boy pees all the time jsut no poo. I asked the doc and she said poo is alot harder.. not to push to hard.. SO, I have back off.. I figure that when hes ready he will do it...
    Mommy-2-Jabe06

Answer by Mommy-2-Jabe06 at 12:41 AM on Feb. 25, 2009