is it true breast feeding is form of birth control and the chance of me getting pregnant is very slim?

I am currently breast feeding my son. He is almost 7 months. I was on birth control pills n have gotten my period regularily. Hoever, I have not gotten my period in two months now n pregnancy test was a negative. I was just wondering if this is because I am breast feeding? Some one has told me that I do not need birth control pills since Im breast feeding and the chance to me getting pregnant is less than 15%. IS this true? could the test be wrong? I have never missed a period in my life until now.

aznblond9

Asked by aznblond9 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (-25 Credits)
  • Not true. You can still get pregnant while BF.
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 1:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• NO!! If your going to use breast feeding as a means of bc, you need to be charting your basal body temp. looking for peaks in temp for ovulation and monitoring your cervical position.

Alone is not recommended.
    Anonymous

• it does decrease your chances but you still can very easily get pregnant.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It is SUPPOSED to be 98% effective. But I know too many women who got pregnant while bf'ing so I wouldnt bet on it. At LEAST pull out if getting pregnant wouldnt be a huge problem for you. Otherwise get another birth control method.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• While it decrease it your chance, it is NOT a reliable form of birth control.
    Anonymous

• Thanks ladies!! Very helpful!!
    aznblond9

Answer by aznblond9 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My mom was breastfeeding me when she got pregnant with twins. No. It's not birth control.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Breastfeeding is very effective birth control but only for the first 6 months, if baby is breastfed on demand with all sucking needs met at the breast, no bottles or pacis used. Your baby is too old to rely on breastfeeding soley.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• The chances of getting pregnant while using LAM are about %2 from everything I've read but only when used properly(baby under 6 months, NO solids, formula, water, scheduled feedings, etc and no periods at all). The only odd people I've ever met who ALL get pregnant on it are somehow on cafe mom. IRL I know many people who use it to successfully space their kids about 2 years apart(including myself). So, I'd look into it but if you aren't comfy with it and are worried it won't work, use something else.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• it will lower your chances of getting pregnant but it is not anywhere near 100% effective so i would not advice anyone to depend soley on bf as birth control. although for most of the first year after my daughter was born i did not use any birth control and i did not get pregnant but i know people who have gotten pregnant while bf.
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 2:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009