Any suggestions?

I'm a single parent with two kids. One of them is 13, and has a friend that comes over in the mornings. Her parents drop her off, when mine is still getting ready, then the two of them walk to the bus together. My problem is that most mornings she comes over and eats breakfast at my house. When I agreed to letting her come, so the girls could take the bus together, I didn't know about feeding her also. I almost feel like I am being greedy, or rude. She has a real nice family, and I don't want to bend on friendships...

Should I bring it up to her parents? There are days I can barely afford to feed myself and my kids, let alone my kids' friends...I feel like this could be a touchy issue...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would just kindly ask them to feed her or pack her a breakfast for the morning.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first response. Just say you love having her over but that it would be easier on your family if she could eat at her own house or bring a breakfast.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:30 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would talk to the parents about it just be honest and tell them that you are really trying to stretch the food budget and feeding an extra child every morning is really a strain. Tell them that you really hate that you have to say anything but this is the situation. Maybe they could send over some breakfast food?
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I agree. Just be kind and honest. Not accusing.

maybe it caneven become a tradition that they take turns planning breakfats for each other.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 3:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Ditto. I would just be honest with them. They'll probably understand, expecially in this economy! Don't be surprised if she already has breakfast at home and eats again at your house, lol! My girls would eat at home and then go to school and eat again until I told them to knock it off!
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I would have never had breakfast as a youngster if my friend's mom didn't let me eat with them in the mornings before school. Don't assume that since she comes from a nice family that they take the time to fix breakfast for the kids. We had money but my mom never bought food. We ate out a lot but she wouldn't buy food or get up with me to get me ready for school. Make pancakes. Those are cheap and filling and won't cost much more to make a few more for someone else. You will be blessed for your kindness.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You could also ask that they just send over something with them....my step kids mom sends them with poptarts and donuts a lot in the mornings when they come from her house (we are daycare even on days they aren't with us and the oldest catches the bus from our house). and the few times their cousins have come over when there are snow days and such their mom always brought food for the kids to eat because she knew her kids ate a lot.

i would just try to mention it nicely. you could even explain that you don't like bringing it up. i would just be as honest as possible.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:56 AM on Feb. 24, 2009