AUTISM: In school or at home...where do you think a child with autism should get his/her therapy

There have been studies about this matter. But I would like to know what do you think.

Sunny405

Asked by Sunny405 at 1:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it should be in the home. The child is in a trusted environment and may absorb teaching better. JMO no research behind it. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Personally, I would try to split it. I find it easier to continue with the therapy on "non-therapy" days when I can see what they are doing with my sons. It's harder to pick up when it's something written down or only relayed verbally.

My boys don't have classic autism...but I have one receiving OT (he's suspect for Asperger's and/or ADHD), one receiving speech and OT (he's suspect for PDD-NOS) and one receiving speech only (suspect for neuro-typical right now!)

I think I'd rather have it at home for those reasons, but also in school so they could be monitored in a different environment. That's the only way to pick up on subtle differences in their behaviors between the two places.......
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• if their young enough at home when they are in school at school. My son does not have autism but a speech delay. We worked at home one on one with a therapists for two years. Then he picked it up at school.
    Anonymous

• I hope there are other moms willing to answer the question!!!
    Sunny405

Answer by Sunny405 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I think both. At home until they are old enough for school, and then at home and school is beneficial.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:35 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My oldest son gets o.t, p.t. speech and special instruction in his school and he does great. the therapist came to my home until he started kindergarten. My other 2 kids get their theraphy at home but once they go to school they will get it their also.
    olinanelson

Answer by olinanelson at 4:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i think both . if you can get the right therapist you,ll see the difference
    adoptafamily

Answer by adoptafamily at 5:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son has PDD-NOS. He's 8 and in 2nd grade. He has Social and Speech Therapy in school. He's on waiting lists for Occupational and Group Therapy, but I will have to drive him. There is no one that comes to my home or I would gladly take that option! So my answer... both in school and privately (I'd do in home if it was available).
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 5:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• At home but then again that is the only place that my son will get therapy since we do not seek outside help.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2009