Help me! My cat has worms?

I was petting my cat and playing with her when I saw this tiny white thing coming out of her anus! It was moving! I've never seen worms before and have never had problems with pets having them!

I tried looking it up online and everything says she either ate a rodent that had worms or got bit by a flea. We have never had rodents in our home and I haven't seen a flea in my house in 3 years!

I seriously think I might throw up! I'm so grossed out. I just went through the house vacuuming couches and washing linens :( I made her an appt for tomorrow.

Has anyone else dealt with this before? How did you cope!!!!!!??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Pets

• Its tape worm. you need a specific dewormer from your vets office. vacuum where ever she sleeps really good, and treat her soon. it can cause health problems. if you dont live in an area where there are fleas, i would not treat her.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 8:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• all you have to do is go buy worner for your cat and treat her yourself
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My cat got worms when I was like 15. My friend and me was home alone and he was sitting there and we saw the worm coming out of the cats butt and we screamed and ran to the phone. We called where my parents was and told them it was an emergency, LoL! My dad couldn't believed we called because of that but we was really freaked out. We ended up putting the cat in the bathroom and dad took it to the vet the next day. It is the grossest thing to see ;-D!
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 1:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I work at an animal hospital sh didnt get it from a rodent or being bit by a flea she got it from ingesting a flea. you need to get her deworemed at least twice and put her on some type of flea control or she will just keep getting them.
    melissam21

Answer by melissam21 at 4:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Take her to the vet and get her checked for all worms that they check for. Take a stool sample. If you have other cats they may also need treated. Definitely use flea control.

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Sounds like tape worms they look like little grains of rice. They get those from ingesting a flea. If that is what it is then They can easily be taken care of by an injection or pill from the vet. If you have a vet you see regularly they may just send a pill home with you with out seeing your cat. You do have to redose in 2 weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• We got our cat and for the first few nights I put him in the bathroom at night because we have a two year old and i didnt want the cat in his room at night. Well I went in the bathroom the next morning and the cat had pooped everywhere but in his cat litter and he had worms BAD.OMG i thought i'd die! So .. I made my husband clean it up ha. but then i got the cat deworming medicine (the kind at walmart even works ok) and the next day he was fine. I still cant look at that cat right LOL!
    Anonymous