Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What does it take to get FULL Custody in Washington Sate?

My Daughter was Born July, 19 2008 and at the time her father was in the picture so he signed the birth certificate, but since then he has come in and out of her's, and my life. Me and him were never married. He if very irresponcable, and i want to get full custody NOW, before he trys to take her from me. He recently got pulled over and got caught drinking didn't get a DUI, because he was just under the limit, but he had my younger brother with him who is 18 and my little brother was drunk, and this isn't the first time he has done things like this it is just the first time he got caught. I just don't want to take a change of him taking my daughter and driving drunk with her, or taking her to a party with him since i have had him watch her and i came home to him drinking while watching her. PLEASE any HELP..... Thank you....

Answer Question

Asked by shydawg86 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • You will need to get a lawyer and ask them to be sure but since he has had little involvement it shouldnt take much effort. You need to strike while the iron is hot though so you can bring up her age, his issues, and lack of involvement.

    Answer by gemgem at 1:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

  • Hey Hun, I know we know each other lol
    are you on any state help like DSHS or anything cause i know that if you are on that you have residential custody but you need to get a lawyer and have him tell you the best way for it because he is going to be the only one who knows i hope things get better for you hun if you need to talk to anyone you can talk to me if you need

    Answer by firsttimemommy at 2:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009


    I know you weren't married, but see the section on 'Laws Restricting Visitation with the Child.' I bet you could use that in your case. here's the paperwork for Unmarried Parents – with Paternity Acknowledgment - Establishing Residential Schedule/Child Support:

    I guess the question would be, if he is not established as the child's father on the certificate, what can you do? You can call the court for free and ask:

    Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.