Blood in 3yo stool

My son had blood in his last bowel movement and I was not sure if it was serious so I called the doc. and he has an appointment at 415 anyone have any ideas why? Ever dealt with this? My son has never had this nor my other 2 dd's. It was bright red. Thanks for your help in advance.

Jenny73

Asked by Jenny73 at 1:50 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I dont want to scare you but theres a chance that he ate something that might have given him some internal bleeding. if he wasnt complaining about stomach pain though that probably wont be it.
    chances are he just pushed to hard and ripped his anal a bit. that's all.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:51 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son had that problem a few weeks ago he's 3 as well. I was told by the doctor it was from constipation and just pushing to hard. He's perfectly fine!!! I would check the following stool and ask him if he's feeling any pain. If your concerened definately take him to the doctor to be safe.
    Mama2Boys5

Answer by Mama2Boys5 at 2:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Ask you DR if he could have a small dose of Miralax to help soften his stool. My 16-month old has to use if every now & then for constipation. Good Luck!
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My daughter did that for a few days, her doctor had xrays done for seeing if her colon (i think) was twisted, it wasn't. Then I just had to make sure she had a little more juice and more water during the day because she just had hard stools. He did ask if she stayed with me all the time because he wanted to be sure she couldn't have been "touched" which she wasn't touched.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:40 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Was the blood just on the outside of the stool? I know that sounds weird- but when kids (or adults) get a little constipated and really strain to poop- they can get a little bleeding from all the straining. If it was that one time and he had really strained- that would be all it is (usually you would see it on the TP also...). Bright red blood indicates that the bleeding is lower in the intestines- so it could be just from irritation on the way out. (bleeding higher up usually looks like dark coffee grounds- not bright red!) If it was from straining- he may just need something to soften his stool, or even just more fiber and liquids!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• UPDATE:Hi ladies. Sorry I did not get back to you last night. I was working. Anyways, great news I guess it is not a big deal just a slight tear that I could not find. Then again I was not willing to start poking and proding either. LOL! So they put him on Miralax to soften him up. But not all the time. He does love dairy products so I am not sure if that is what did it or not. Thanks so much ladies for being there for me and listening and giving me all your input. It is greatly appreciated. :)
    Jenny73

Answer by Jenny73 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• He might have been constipated and strained too hard. Its usually not dangerous, from what I've heard, unless the blood is dark in color or like coffee grounds! Hope all is well!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 2:15 AM on Feb. 28, 2009