Is my baby spoiled?

Help! My seven month old baby won't stop whining. He's fine when I'm around, talking to him, or holding him but when I walk away he starts to whine. It's been going on since yesterday. Is he spoiled?

purecity

Asked by purecity at 2:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can never spoil a baby
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You cant spoil a baby

Answer by gemgem at 2:04 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It sounds like he's starting to deal with separation anxiety. It's a normal part of development that happens when babies start to realize that you don't just stop existing when you leave the room. They've made the connection in their minds that YOU are their primary caretaker, which in their world means you = food, safety, and warmth. So, when you leave the room it's a little distressing for them. My son is going through spurts of that right now. The way we cope is by making sure we consistently meet his needs (food, snuggles, diapers, etc) to build his trust in us. I also turn these little "leave... whine" sessions into a game of "peek-a-boo" by poking my head around the corner a couple times and saying "peekaboo!" That way it drives home the idea that I'm not gone forever, I do remember him, and I will be coming back. They do grow out of it, and when their needs are consistently met they learn trust.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 2:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Mine does it too. I have to sneak away when he's not looking!! I've heard that it's just a stage.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• This is very typical behavior for a 7-10 month old! They do not want mom out of their sight! It is developmental. It is NOT that baby is spoiled, and you can't "teach him" to not be upset when you leave. You just need to pick him up and bring him with you wherever you go until he reaches the next developmental milestone where he is able to learn that just because you have gone form sight doesn't mean you are gone forever. Right now, every time you are out of his sight, or start to walk away, he thinks it is forever! Hang in there and he'll move on and be running away from you in a couple of months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• it's not possible to spoil a baby.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:42 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• No, he's not spoiled. He's needy. Let him know you like holding him and start working on his confidence that you will return to him. Good games- Mom is under the blanket! The ball is under the pot! etc. Helps him learn that people may 'disappear' from view, but they haven't gone away forever.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i agree 140% with everyone here!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Agree with the others that you CANNOT spoil a baby! He is well loved, and that's awesome!! Remember that separation anxiety kicks in close to this time, also. Don't let him cry for you, but if you have to go do something (like pee!) he will be fine for a few moments while you tinkle :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 11:41 PM on Feb. 23, 2009