• In the Spotlight:

I need some help please. My hubby makes pretty good money. If he hits a certain amount of sales at his work he gets a bonus check that month and it usually is around 1,000 on top of his week of pay. He makes around 500 a week more if overtime. In the summer he makes around 1,000 a week bc he gets lots of overtime then. Anyway,

The thing is we should not be behind on bills, but we are. He tells me he doesn't remember where the money goes. How do you not know where that much goes. He is always home on time so I know he isn't cheating. But we have like a 2,000 gas bill, 100 phone bill, 200 electric bill, 300 water bill, we don't have cable bc we can't afford it with bills behind. He hasn't paid a house payment for 4 months our house is 482 a month. I told him if things don't change I am out of here bc I have 2 kids to worry about. He only gives me 100 a week for groceries. How can I get these bills up now that they are this far behind? Is there a way too now? I keep telling him if we stay up with bills we would have a bunch of extra money. I am tired of stressing. I a stay at home mom bc I have noone to sit why I work and I can't afford daycare.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband is the same way. I had to take over the bills and actually give him an 'allowance' until he became more responsible. I know that sounds but but it is how it HAD to be for a while to 'save' us. It wasn't that he was cheating or on drugs or anything. His problem was his mentality of 'it only cost...' His 'it's only X dollars' Would add up and by the end of the month he would have spent 150 or more dollars or crap. Start making a very detailed pay check by paycheck budget all the way from rent to bills to spending money. In money for spending take out in cash after you get paid. Leave the account for bill paying. I would occasionally take my DH card away from him when the account got to low because he had no money sense. He has gotten much better over the years and we now share responsibility. You may just have to put your foot down. I will not lie it will start a fight but it is on worth having
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:25 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You need to get microsoft money or quicken books and start making payments to the people that you owe. It isnt hard to get on a budget,its hard to stick to it. You shouldnt be behind on bills with that amount hes making. My husband used to earn that and we would be caught up on bills first and even had money set aside in savings. If those programs dont help then you need to hire an accountant.

Answer by gemgem at 2:07 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Why don't you start handling the finances. I do all the financial work in my house and I know where every penny is. If he can't pay the bills and keep up with the books, somebody else needs to take over. What happens when you get a notice of foreclosure or they shut you gas off. Put you foot down. A marriage is a partnership, not a one sided game. You two need to seriously get your act together and start acting as one, not seperate.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:09 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Where do you get these programs at???
    Anonymous

• He wont let me have the money I am not even on his checking account. I got info from his old one at one time to see how much was in there he changed banks, but I still found his account numbedr and everything to find out how much was in there. He does pay a bill, but he waits until we get a disconection notice then if it is say 100 or even 160 to pay to keep it on he pays 60 they still keep it on but we get more behind. We have gotten forclosure letters and he still does nothing. They wont talk to me bc the house is in his name
    Anonymous

• I got quicken free from online. Oh BTW, I know a man who has a mistress and he sees her all the time at lunch time so coming home every day after work means nothing. I'm not saying your guy is cheating, he could have a gambling thing or paying for a child you don't know about from the past. It could be anything. However, I would make up a budget and I'd be getting that mgt paid up!
    Anonymous

• He is either gambling, doing drugs, or cheating. Does he have child support for someone else?
    Why are you allowing him to do this to your family? With that much income you should be living really well.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Truthfully, $500 a week isn't all that great for the amount of bills you have. That's $2000 which right there you say is for your gas bill. And you say he may make an extra grand for a bonus. You should find out exactly how much he's making.....maybe you're just not making enough to pay all the bills and that's why you're behind. That's better than him havnig a gambling problem or having an affair, though. JMO.
    Anonymous

• If you have any questions or need some help deciding where to start if you take over let me know and I will do my best to help you. I hope you get it worked out soon!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:33 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i had to take over bills when me and my husband first got married cause he would pay like three months on car and we wouldn't have electric...we did have a fight about it, but now we just have the bills to income ratio problem, not that we can't keep track of where money goes...and it does go fast, 5 here 20 there, paycheck is gone. send him his lunch, at $10 a day, that's $50 a week you'll save...good luck
    love.life

Answer by love.life at 2:38 PM on Feb. 23, 2009