Is it better to get a 15 foot or a 20 foot U-Haul?

I'm moving Saturday just down the road about 10 minutes from where I am now. In addition, we will be delivering some of the bigger items to my son's house which is about 20 minutes away from here. I will have to pay an extra $1 each mile traveled.  My future house is tiny, so we are taking only the furniture first so that I can see where everything is going to fit. Would it be better to get the 15 foot U-Haul or the 20-foot U-Haul?

I put this in the money category 'cause I'm looking to be cost-effective.

zboys

Asked by zboys at 3:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2015 in Money & Work

• As long as there's no trouble fitting the 20ft into the area that you are living I would go with it. Make sure there's room to turn around where you're going to live with something that big. I'd rather do one larger load then 2 -3 smaller loads. It may be $10 more for the larger one but you'll spend that in gas making multiple trips. You'll be surprised at how much stuff you actually have once you start packing and loading up. There's also odd shaped items that don't stack well (lawn mowers, exercise bikes, etc) that take up a lot of room and you can't stack on top of them.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:56 PM on Dec. 4, 2015

• It is a good policy to get more than you think you need. If it turns out that you do need it, then you have it. If it turns out that you didn't need it after all, then it is money well spent anyway for the peace of mind.

Answer by Bmat at 9:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2015

• What's the cost difference between the 20 and the 15?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2015

• Depends on how much stuff you have, how many trips you want to take and how comfortable you feel driving it.
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 1:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2015

• I don't have a lot of stuff. It's $30 for the 15 ft. and $40 for the 20 ft. My bro-in-law will be driving it.
    zboys

Comment by zboys (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Dec. 4, 2015