Wanting to be a SAHM, Advice?

DH and I were in a good financial situation before having our baby. We didnt get pregnant until after we got an approval for his green card and we had a business that was doing good so I could stay home with the baby. Now we are not doing too well. When the baby was 5 days old, we got a notice in the mail that his green card was revoked and we would have to refile. That was $10,000. That was a big hit to our finances, but we were sure we would recover. But then we took one hit after another. MIL got sick and we ended up having to sell our business to pay for her medical bills. DHs friend bought it and told DH he could stay and work, but after 1 month, he gave him 3 hours a day, which was nothing. We had to borrow money from friends and family to get by until her finally found a job 5 months later. He is now working fast food, busting his butt 14 hours a day $9 an hour.
I have been job searching for 5 months. No luck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Nobody wants to hire me, I have no high school diploma and cant pass my GED because of the math part.
    It kills me that we are not doing well. It kills me that we tried to do everything the right way and still failed. It kills me that DHs selfesteem has gone. HE used to be a good providor, but now that we lost the business, he is depressed all the time. He is depressed I have to work too, but I try to help him and tell him I want to help him. I dont want him to be upset.
    I love being a SAHM, but I know I need to do something to help my family. Any advice?
    Anonymous

• Try craiglist.com and other job sites. If your local newspaper has a website check out there job postings. Layoffs and hard times happen, but it's how you come out that shows your character. Keep working hard and things will get better. My husband got laid off two weeks after we had our son and I wasn't working. It took him 6 months to find another job and I had to start working again so we could survive. Now we are fine. We are both working ( I loved my job so much I didn't want to quit) and things are looking up. Keep your chin up things will get better.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My hubby's self esteem was bull dozed after he got a lay off. He said he felt like he was less of a man because he couldn't provide for his family. I just kept telling him that we are a team. A team works together. Nobody ever expected him to do everything all the time. After he got his job back he felt alot better. Just keep reassuring him that everything will be fine and thank him for all that he is doing.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 2:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• It is possible to stay home and make money. You are required to be motivated. You can't get something for nothing, it's just not possible. To be able to start your very own home business for less than $30 is worth taking a look. I stay home with my 4 kids ages 5 and under. I've teamed up with a wellness company called Melaleuca. They've been in business for over 23 years and they've been helping families escape the financial rat race. It is possible to be debt free. If you feel you have between 5 and 15 hours a week to work a business, then you can make money and you can do the things you've always wanted to do. It's tough raising a family in this day and age. But it is possible to provide them with a good life. I was tired of scraping by; I was tired of saying "no" to everything. Now I don't have to. I'm not saying I make millions but I do earn a decent amount. If you are serious then check out my website www.familiesrok.com
    tneeley

Answer by tneeley at 2:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Can you do daycare out of your home?
    Anonymous

• selling Melaleuca is not a good home business to get into, MORE THAN half of the people i've talked to said they are lucky to make 50 that MONTH! try watching some kids at your place!

Best of luck to you and your family :)
    stephany21

Answer by stephany21 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Have you considered an at home Business?? What I love most is it's a low start up cost as well as NO monthly fees (with Tupperware that is). I also get to make my own hours. Anyway, I make good money and would love to tell you more if this might be an option for you. GOOD LUCK I hope that it will work out for you and your family.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 4:28 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Check out HomeCareerSuccess.com or the group on cafemom http://www.cafemom.com/group/TheDailyCafemomerWAH24hr

There are lists of places that hire at home workers, like American Airlines and 1800 FLOWERS.

If I were you I would be getting an immigration lawyer. Sounds like they are giving you the run around.

There are free immigration lawyers out there. call 211 or go to their site 211.org

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Iraqivetwife: Thanks, we have one. She is super expensive, but DHs case was messed up. We have it figured out now and he has the perminate 10 year green card.
    Thanks for all the info everyone!
    Anonymous

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxYwrP-IBs

definitely check this out, it is what i do that helps me work at home....100% free, no start up costs, nothing to buy!  pays on time and easy to do :)

blakesma

Answer by blakesma at 3:07 PM on Feb. 24, 2009