Should Children's Programs bring up puberty?

There are so many children's programs and shows that talk about how to use the potty and a lot of other milestone moments in our children's lives, but what about the milestone moments for when they get older? For example, when they experience puberty, girls get their periods, boys voices change, etc. All I remember at that age were lame educational videos that weren't that interesting and boring. I'm not saying Sesame Street should cover puberty (although it wouldn't be a bad thing if they did) I'm just saying there should be a show out there that touches on the subjects. I think Roseanne did a great job of bringing up puberty and all that.

I did a Google search for it and found that PBS Kids does have a section about it on their web page, but they're not really upfront about it. And I think a tool like this would be beneficial for kids who might not have anyone to ask about this subject.

Asked by Super_Woman2015 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2015 in Health

• I don't think there should be. Unlike with potty training puberty can happen at a variety of ages and maturity levels.

I think that the best way for a child to learn and understand it is to have conversations with their parents. There are many books out on the subject that are written for a every age and maturity level. Much better way to learn then plopped in front of a video of any kind, in my opinion.

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2015

• I understand that, but some kids don't have parents that they feel comfortable enough to approach about those conversations. Sure, I can have a conversation about it with my kids, but I think there are some families out there who may not feel so comfortable about discussing it. Families who don't understand that it's important to talk about.

Comment by Super_Woman2015 (original poster) at 1:05 AM on Dec. 8, 2015

• Also potty training can apply to different ages as well. As some children learn faster or slower than others.

Comment by Super_Woman2015 (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2015

• I think most of the PBS shows are geared toward very young children. So potty training discussions are more age-appropriate than puberty. A lot of schools address that topic in a grade level that is more timely.

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2015

• No. PBS and other kids' shows/stations should NOT tackle the subject of puberty.

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:24 PM on Dec. 8, 2015

• It would be age-appropriate, obviously. And perhaps more engaging than the boring videos they make kids watch at school. That's all I'm suggesting, is more engaging material that teach kids about it without losing their interest in it.

Comment by Super_Woman2015 (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Dec. 8, 2015

• I remember the show Family when I was a kid. The girl got her period. Also the movie My Girl. The movies are out there. I know there's more. No girl 12 years old is going to watch pbs. Also don't forget Judy Blume!!

Answer by mompam at 7:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2015