Upcoming job interview for a job I'm certified in, but haven't worked in in over a year.. NERVOUS!

I went to school and became a dental assistant, only worked in the dental field for a few months when my family desperately needed a caregiver for my grandmother so I took that position for over a year. Now I'm back on the hunt for a job and have an interview at a dental office in a couple days. I'm so nervous because I have forgotten a lot of things required for the job since its been so long. I'm sure it will all come back to me after a week or 2, but how do I explain this to my possible future employer? I'm worried he'll hire someone else fresh out of school because I suck at interviews and explaining things correctly 😢😢

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2015 in Money & Work

• Best of luck to you. Tell them what skills you have that will help your company. You can point out compassionate care of your grandmother. It may be necessary to take a refresher course for your resume.

Answer by Bmat at 6:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2015

• Review class work and online resources for being a dental assistant. Practice out loud talking about your schooling, past work experience, and the reason you have been out of the field for awhile. Relax as much as you can and be genuine. GL!
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2015

• The fact that you spent a year as a caregiver to a senior says to me that you are very adaptable, and can learn new things. And there's a LOT of value in that. Having been a caregiver to my mom, I know it's tough and you have to learn to do things you never thought you'd be doing. That actually has more value than freshly learned material from school.

You will be asked about the gap. Tell the dentist exactly what you told us: I stepped in as a caregiver to my grandmother. You don't have to say much more than that. As silverthreads said above, give your coursework a quick review. Heck , things may have changed anyway, the way technology is progressing. You'll have to relearn things all the time, so don't be too worried about that.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:15 AM on Dec. 9, 2015