I might have to repeat a course....

Feels like no one ever tells the truth about their grade and ppl look at me lilke I'm smart so I ca not be honest about somethings. I suck at math. The math at my school is extremely hard (all levels) and you need a 60% from the class and 70% on the final exam to pass. They also drop the lowest test score. Well I slipped on the third test and didn't rebound on the fourth test. Without anything dropped my average is 63.2%. The final is next week. I don't know what the point is if I didn't pass the course to take the final. Sucks, so far I have only had one bad grade. I wanted to have graduated by a certain time but this score messed me up. I don't feel like a failure but I'm not as proud of myself.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2015 in Money & Work

• Um. A 70% for passing is normal in most schools. I would dare say it's even on the "easy" side as most college courses you need 80% to pass the course.
    As for not graduating when you want, it's called life and it happens. If you need to take the class again then you take the class again. IT's not the end of the world.
    adp_3805

Answer by adp_3805 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2015

• How much of your grade does the final count for? It might just push you into passing territory. If it doesn't, you're no worse off than you were before. But if you skip the final, then you absolutely WILL flunk.

If you have to take the class again, then seek out help so you can pass.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2015

• Good luck on the final & it sounds like you are having a pretty balanced/realistic reaction....Uncomfortable, disappointed and feeling some discouragement, but not feeling like "a failure." I hope you will do well enough on the final to find that you can keep on track to graduate when you had hoped. It makes sense to feel bummed about the possibility of things being delayed in that way, even if you ultimately will adapt and rebound if that is the case.

For what it's worth, I read it as you saying that all the available math courses are hard in terms of the material (no "easy" ones to choose) and those percentages are the requirements to pass the course and receive credit. (Not that those percentage requirements are strict or are what make the classes "hard," but that the material in the math classes is challenging, making it harder to meet the minimum if you aren't strong in math.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2015

• GirlwithC has it right. I'm not mad at the math department or anything just at myself for not doing so well. I will try to up it with studying. The final is next Thursday (17th). I have planned one study group with a classmate and there is a final test prep session next week I will attended. I'm not complaining about the percentages I'm disappointed only in myself. I have given myself some flexibility with graduating because a required course for my major has to be taken next fall. Just a little bummed and wanted to get it out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2015