I need my baby to start going to bed earlier

She's so used to going to bed at 11pm, from when I was unemployed and stayed up late. I'd love for her to go to bed at 9, but everything I've tried has failed! I've tried waking her up earlier in the morning, and making sure she wakes up from her last nap at least 3 hours before bed time. I've tried tiring her out throughout the day by taking her places/doing things with her. I've tried to put her to bed at 10 to ease her into an earlier bedtime and she'll fight her sleep until 11! I don't understand it. I know its a process and it takes time, but now since I'm trying to change her schedule its all over the place. She'll wake up in the middle of the night for feedings when she hasn't done that in months, or cry on and off when i put her down.. Which isnt nornal for her either. I feel like I'm doing more harm than good in this whole schedule changing thing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. Please give me advice! This tired mama needs more than 5 hours of sleep at night!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2015 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If I were trying to do this I would start backing bedtime up in 30 minute increments. Put her down at 10:30 at night and wake her according to your new routine when you need her to be up in the morning. If she was sleeping through the night before then I would comfort her if she woke at night, but no feedings. Then put her back to bed.

Once she was fine going down at 10:30 then I would start putting her down at 10. And so on until I got bedtime to where you want it. It is a very long process and you will be very tired throughout, but it has to be done. Be consistent. Do the same thing every night. Don't give up. Being inconsistent is a huge problem when trying to get through these transitions. hugs
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2015

• I agree with silverthreads. I'd also make that last nap no less than FOUR hours before bedtime.. or possibly skip it entirely.

That said... waking in the middle of the night for feedings is normal in year one. Five hours is considered "sleeping through the night" and you may not see more than five hours in a row for a year or two no matter what you do.

So... instead of changing her, look at what you are doing. Dump that which is not needed for survival so you can get more rest. Nap when she naps. DON'T DO HOUSEWORK IN THIS TIME! If she's asleep, so are you. No one worth being had the words, "World's Greatest Housekeeper" on her tombstone... or on anything else, for that matter.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2015

• Try 10 minutes earlier for a couple nights, then 10 more minutes. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2015