I was wondering if any of you know how alimony is figured? I asked a question a few wks ago about child support and received some answers. Now I am wondering how alimony is figured. My dd is only 24 and has been seeing a man 20 yrs older. She just started seeing him, but has fallen hard sadly. He has been in the a middle of a divorce from his wife for over a year now, she was cheating on him and was the one who wanted the divorce. He told my dd last night he is going to have to pay alimony, but doesn't know how much. I honestly thought alimony was a thing of the past. I knew a SAHM would receive payments till the children were older and she was able to work, but I didn't know a working wife still would receive payments. They are both in the medical field, but she has a 1 yr degree, whereas he has a 4 yr degree and so makes quite a bit more. Do any of you receive alimony? Is this payment forever?? I am not sure my dd is quite understanding financially what she is getting into if she stays with this guy.

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Dec. 24, 2015 in Adult Children (18+)

• Laws vary by state. But generally they take into acct. the length of the marriage and discrepancy in incomes. A male friend of ours actually got 3 years of alimony. It was a 10 year marriage and she made more. Also, there's usually a clause that says if the person getting the alimony remarries during that time, then the payments stop.

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:41 AM on Dec. 24, 2015

• She has too many questions. It doesn't sound like she is mature enough for this relationship.

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 24, 2015

• It can vary based on the means of the individuals and the length of the marriage, and yeah, it can go on forever or until the recipient gets remarried.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on Dec. 24, 2015

• If she loves him, then she shouldn't worry about the money.
    If they man has been married a long time, they will divide the assets equally, and then he will have to pay her alimony, sometimes until she would remarry, or even until death.

Answer by weaselpecker at 1:15 PM on Dec. 25, 2015

• I always heard that allimony only goes to non-working ex's till she finds a job. Idk.

Answer by Hiker578200 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 12, 2016