Watresses and tips.... are they entitled to automatically get tips... or are they earned??

There's a huge argument going on (not on CM) about waitresses and tips. I generally tip 15-20% plus (15% for just okay service and 20% and above for a good waitress). Apparently some waitresses (I said some) seem to think that all women who come into 'their' restaurant are jealous of them and tip based on their jealously.... another one thinks that we are obligated to give her a generous tip because 'after all she has to put up with us'..... I'm interested to hear what we all as moms and women think about this... even waitresses, please chime in; Is it about customer service plain and simple or is it an obligation that the customer has to pay?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 2:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Tips are given atleast by me as to how good of service was received..
    I usually tip good if the service is good. I have tiped more because I felt bad for a waitress once.
    You can throw the jealous thing out the window...
    I am not obligated to tip a waitress they are obligated to give good service..
    Good service = nice tip for those who appreciated a pleasant waitress..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Tips are earned. If i dont feel like i got decent service i dont give a tip. simple. they're already getting paid for putting up with me. but if they want extra they have to be nice. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Tips are earned. If I get crappy service I leave no tip maybe a note letting them know they need to work somewhere else. If the service is basic they get 10 percent. Great service will earn the person 20-30 percent.
    Anonymous

• I was a waitress and I felt that if I didn't get a tip or even a good tip then I obviously didn't do my job right. Tips should be earned. I don't think you should just get a tip because your a waitress. Do a good job and you'll get a good tip. There is a waitress at the ponderosa in town that is SO good she always re-fills your drink before it gets empty she goes out of her way to wait on her customers and other customers. We usually give her a 5 dollar tip if not more. But since I'm having a baby and she's a family friend she doesn't take the tip and she wont take more than 2 dollars from elderly couples. She's a very good waitress.
    mommy2be32509

Answer by mommy2be32509 at 2:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am wondering why I would be jealous of someone who has to work as a waitress. I am a SAHM with a husband who makes a great living well over 100k a year. I am cute, in shape and happy. Yeah I am so jealous.lol
    Anonymous

• Tips are earned. We went out to eat last night and had a good waiter. But one of his co-workers was a complete b*tch. You could hear here yelling at everyone in the kitchen and then coming out and yelling more. She kept throwing her hands up and saying "I don't need to deal with this b.s". She'd then get to her tables and was rude. I wouldn't have tipped her if she was my waitress. Go throw temper tantrums somewhere else.
    Anonymous

• all of my jobs have been waitress jobs..
    Now, Yes we make most of our money on tips & only get paid like 3 something [ depends on the place ] an hour.
    But, if im going to be a rude, ignorant, not good waitress & expect some big tip than im the idiot. You only get what you put in... thats with ANYTHING in life...
    If your friendly & do your job & good at what you do, than you could make good money. I mean yeah there are some people out there, that NO MATTER HOW good of a waitress you are, they just dont tip well...
    But in the end, its all what you put into it.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am a server and have been for many years, some people will go out to eat knowing good and well they DONT tip no matter how good the service is, some people only tip 10% regaurdless of the service. Percentage is good for dinner because the bill is higher but for breakfast the amount of tip should be based on service and not the bill because our average bill is 13.00. Servers do not make a lot of money by the hour, our hourly pay is 2.15, it takes alot of tables to make money as a server. I give GREAT service, every table, everyday. I also tip very well because I know of the behind the scene crap a server has to do and put up with from the cooks. But yes I have seen some servers who do not need to be one. Bad tips I dont mind so much, I quess we have to take the good with the bad but the one thing I can't stand are the customers that belittle a server, or threat then like shit.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Personally, my service has to be downright HORRID for me to tip less than 15%. I'll tip more than that for good service, but knowing how little they make on base pay, I would feel really bad tipping less than that.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• They are earned, but it's not like I expect someone to run a marathon to earn them. All I ask is that we not spend 20 minutes trying to track someone down when a glass is empty, but at the same time, we can complete a sentence without being interrupted. When someone really goes above and beyond I've tipped 50% before, but I've also left just a quarter for someone who is very obviously taking her bad day out on us and everyone else unfortunate enough to be in the same room.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:53 PM on Feb. 23, 2009