Am I alone? After reading an article in parents mag.

I read parenting magazine every month and always get lots of good ideas and advice, this moth there was an article about breast feeding called ( How moms really feel about breastfeeding) There were perspectives from two sides, I loved it, and I hated it, On the one side mothers enjoyed breastfeeding, on the other the mothers hated it, finding it difficult, painfull, and extreamly stressfull because of it.

I was upset to see only the two sides making me feel even more incompatent and alone in my past situation, my daughter now being three.
My situation was this, I was sexually abused as a child, during the developing stages mostly, I became very self concuse and ashamed of my body, many years later thinking I was over it, the feelings came washing back over me when I would bring my child to my chest, I became very deppressed and even had anxiety attacks every time she would need to be feeded. Am I alone?

deliriousmommy

Asked by deliriousmommy at 2:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I too was sexually abuse as a child. for many many years actually. But i have not yet had the opportunity to breast feed. However, ...i dont feel as if it will be an issue for me. But i do understand where you are coming from. It's hard. There are times when i think i've gotten over every aspect of what happend to me, ...and then somehow it all comes rushing back.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If i'd lived in hell like you did, I'm almost positive I would have felt the same way.
    BooHooMommy

Answer by BooHooMommy at 2:58 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• you're not alone hunny!!! have you talked to anyone about it because keeping it bottled up is not good. Have you ever considered talking to a therapist?? The word therapist freaked me out a bit at first- but they really do help!!!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 3:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I went to therapy for many years and do talk about it when I need to, Her mouth on my breast wasnt bonding for me it was just, like being malested all over again, expecally when I would think I was doing good and then her toung would fliker, Ide start crying and pull her away, I was already suplamenting because of her weight, I started pumping because it was more macanacle but it was to late my milk was drying up, the doctor said it was sressing her out as much as me because she could sence I was anxiuos, I hope to breast feed my next child, Now that I know what to expect it should be easyer, I was also in a very sressfull situation with the father. I felt more inadicuat, like my situation wasnt as normal as others. Alone
    deliriousmommy

Answer by deliriousmommy at 3:18 PM on Feb. 23, 2009