How many naps and how long should i give my 9 month old boy?

My son is not sleeping through the night, he is waking up wide awake and I was wondering if I should give him more naps or less or should I wake him up after a certain time.

THanks!

sarahjkk

Asked by sarahjkk at 3:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You shouldn't "give" your child naps. Take ques from thema s to when they are sleepy and let them sleep. My 13 month old has had the same routine (that she made up herself of course) since she was about 9 months old. She wakes up at around 5 am then has about a 1-2 hour nap at 8ish then another at around 3ish for the same time, then goes to bed at 8:30 and sleeps till 5 am and would probably sleep later but we wake up at 4:30 and are running around being noisy. Like I said, she is 13 months old and still hasn't changed her patterns. Listen to your baby. He will let you know what he needs if you listen.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Follow his cues about it. Mine were taking a mid-morning and mid-afternoon nap at that age, bedtime was around 8pm and they woke probably around 6-7...they still do, too. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If you are wondering if you should "get him extra tired so he'll sleep better at night"... don't buy into that very old, very outdated, extremely wrong idea. While it might work for an adult, it does not work for very young children. It actually makes it harder for them to fall asleep, harder for them to stay asleep, and more likely for them to wake extra early. This is based on the actual biology of what happens inside a child's body when they are overtired - not on some wishful thinking or old-wives-tale.
    So, if you want your son to sleep all night...
    What do you do when he wakes? If you go in, keep it as boring as possible. Do not look him in the eye, do not talk, sing, rock, etc. If you truly think he's hungry, feed him, put him back, and leave. The more you reward him, the more firmly the habit of waking is made.
    - cont -
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:43 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Make sure he gets plenty of daytime sleep. Check out the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" for a good guide to how sleep develops in a child and how much sleep they need at different ages. A good online source is www.familysleep.com.

At his age, he may be taking 2 or 3 naps each day. Once he's asleep, leave him. Do not wake a napping child unless he is still asleep 2 hours before bedtime.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009