Moms of kids with impulsive/discipline control issues....

Have you ever tried putting them in martial arts? If so how did it work for them?

I hear great things about martial arts teaching them self control and discipline so I signed my 5 year old up! He starts next week.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I cant tell you by my own experience because my son hated martial arts... but I have read that it really helps children to learn self control and respect.
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 4:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I have heard good things. but my kids with impulse/behavior issue also have Dyspraxia. Martial arts is too trying. They are in Gymnastics
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 4:20 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am going to try gymnastics because my son also has tight muscles so, I want to loosen him up and then try martial arts.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:29 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• My son has no discipline issues but may be ADD(He can't sit still and dos not know when to quit he get's worked up and is hard to bring down) he is still to young to diagnose He is 4.5 and started Tae Kwon Do 3 weeks ago and we have seen a huge difference in his behavior as have his teachers. In fact yesterday he was playing around pretending he was gonna karate kick his sister and I told him if he did he would have to tell Master Minter on Tuesday. lol his eyes got huge and he said 'I'll stop.' Any way it is a great way to teach not only self discipline but also self control. Don't expect any instant changes but just a few small ones at first and the longer he is in it the more he will gain. I hope he loves it like mine does!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009