What is a special gift for a 13 year old?

Hi Ladies,

You have helped me with great ideas in the past when I needed gifts for girls. So, I am now wondering if you might have some ideas for a birthday gift for someone turning 13. It is for my granddaughter. I have been thinking about a Pandora bracelet but it will not get used often and it might not be appropriate now. Any great ideas to offer?? Thanks as always!

silverthreads

Asked by silverthreads at 7:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2016 in Teens (13-17)

• What about an experience of some kind? On (or near) my 13th birthday my Gramma took me and my dad to dinner at the Seattle Space Needle.

Skydiving? (maybe too young)
    Hot air balloon ride?
    Horse lessons?
    Great Wolf Lodge with a friend?
    Some other water park?

What are things she likes?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2016

• My daughter is 13 and loves Lokai bracelets. They are around $20 but she loves them. She wouldn't want a Pandora. Maybe take her to get a mani/pedi? My daughter is discovering makeup and her favorite thing is to go to CVS!! She can spend an hour examining every lipstick!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2016

• A pretty necklace. I gave my granddaughter a gold chain necklace that looks very feminine on her.

Answer by Bmat at 10:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2016

• Get her a sketch book, or two, in various sizes, and a set of colored pencils. Prismacolors are highly recommended by my coloring groups. I'm pretty basic and color mostly with Crayola and Sharpie.

If you have an art supply store near you, they should be able to help you find something in your budget.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2016

• I like the idea of getting her art supplies. Maybe get her a Kindle w/ an Amazon gift card so she can download books. Since you're going to visit her, maybe just take her shopping to pick out what she wants. A day w/ G-ma shopping & lunch might just be the best gift ever. Enjoy your visit :)

BTW- when my dau turned 13, we took her & some of her friends to a laser tag place. They had a blast. (Just a thought)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:09 AM on Apr. 5, 2016

• If she loves to draw then an artist's sketch kit (I have one with graphite and sanguins and another with water colour pencils) might be an idea along with a sketch pad. Or maybe another kind of kit - one of my daughters really loved her origami kit - it came with a good assortment of paper and a beginner's instruction book.

Just for the record, I have a fairly girly 13 yo and she says that Pandora is overpriced for what it is and it isn't even pretty ... lol

I second the laser tag place idea :) Another "party" idea that one of mine attended recently was a burger lunch with friends and then off to the movies.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 6:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2016

• Sorry, A piece of jewelry*
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2016

• For my 13th birthday my grandmother took me to a place locally that had oysters that you could pick. They pried it open pulled out a beautiful pearl that was inside. She then purchased a ring that had 8 small diamonds and had the pearl set. I will never forget that birthday!!

It doesn't have to be expensive, but something that the two of you will remember and treasure.
    Anonymous

• A book about safe sex. Birthcontrol. Condums. I know what I was doing at 14. That is why I say this.

Answer by louise2 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2016

• I piece of jewelry.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2016