How do I decline lunch invitation

There's a new employee that joined my team recently and my boss is inviting us for lunch, but I don't want to go. However I don't know how to decline as everyone is expected to go. Does any of you ladies have any 'excuse' for me to use?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 AM on Apr. 8, 2016 in Money & Work

• I think this is one of those times that an employee has to "grin and bear it". It is part of the job really. If the whole team is expected then I would advise you to go. It's only one lunch. And not going speaks volumes about you IMO. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2016

• I don't think you have a choice. If there is some reason- ethical, religious, then maybe you could use this as an excuse.

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2016

• Agree with what Silver said.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:52 AM on Apr. 8, 2016

• I would have asked if it was mandatory. If yes. I would have just went. If no I would have said "have something else to do". But job related things. You might want to just go to it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:26 AM on Apr. 8, 2016

• Go
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2016

• Like the other ladies said, this is something that you need to go to. The only legit way out of it would be some kind of emergency. So just go and order something nice off the menu, since the company's paying.
    RoboBuddy

Answer by RoboBuddy at 10:11 AM on Apr. 8, 2016

• You need to suck it up and go...
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 8:00 PM on Apr. 8, 2016

• This is one of those things you have to do.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:20 PM on Apr. 8, 2016

• Is there a reason you don't want to go? Personally I can't see why you wouldn't want to go out to eat for what is a free lunch at a nice restaurant and will most likely be an extended lunch that is all paid for.

Unless you have a darn good reason go, smile and have a good time.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• Did you go? How was it? Hope everything turned out ok.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:48 AM on Apr. 18, 2016