If my son has symptoms of croup, does he need to go to the Dr?

My 4yo son gets croup every year about 3 or 4 times. I know all the home treatments.. steam/cold air ect. I'm wondering if its necessary to take him to the Dr. for antibiotics everytime he has an episode. Anyone know?

team_stewart

Asked by team_stewart at 3:27 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm a pro when it comes to croup.. My son had croup on and off for a few years. You need to go to the doctor and your son on a breathing machine. It will save you a few trips to the hospital. The doctor will give you scripts for Abuterol & Pulmacort. Both will help with the Cruop. Also get a cool mist humidfier. They help too. If you wanna try Pedicare has a mini plug thing that puts a medicine in the air while the baby sleeps it really helped my son.
    Your son will eventually grow out of it! Hang in there!
    Collinsmommy914

Answer by Collinsmommy914 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Antibiotics don't do anything for croup. It's a virus. Unless he's having difficulty breathing, and you're not more concerned than usual (we're always concerned with croup! ) then there's no reason really to go in.....or if stridor develops. Then he'll need to be checked.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:37 PM on Feb. 23, 2009