What are your house rules for kids using tech?

My oldest is 14 and he has a smart phone. My 12 and 10 yr old have 3ds and tablets. I am not a fan of kids having all these devices but the 3ds is at their father's house and it connects to the Internet. I've had to come up with some house rules regarding their tech use, some we've had to learn my trial and error.

1. No tech in the bedroom unless you are having a private convo with a parent. Internet use in public space in home only.
2. Charge your tech in a public space at bedtime.
3. No new accounts unless approved by mom or dad and all parents (including steps) must have all usernames and passwords.
4. For use of my home computer, sign a log on sheet with your start time and stop time. (Most of the time they're on my google account so I need to know who did what).

It may sound like overkill but better safe than sorry. How do you supervise your kids tech use?

HHx5

Asked by HHx5 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 10, 2016 in Tweens (9-12)

• Fine with 1, 2, 3 but for 4 ... nobody gets to use my computer (they have my old one and it's in my office). Frankly, signing a log sheet sounds a bit controlling abnd a hassle for kids. It would be much easier to just say no. If they really want to use a computer they can always go to the library.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 12:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• #4 started out as a way to allow all three kids to have a turn, they each got 1 hour. I'd forget what time one child got on and then the sibling squabbling started about how this brother got more time than that brother. At the time it was the only thing connected to Internet. They play several kinds of free online games. Now, that they're a little older I can look at their facebooks or what they watched on YouTube. Their tablets at my house aren't very good quality.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• They have to ask before using their Ipad/laptop,any new programs need to be okayed by DH or I first, no group chats they have to physically know the person before becoming friends on Xbox,I feel like I am forgetting something but the kids are thankfully pretty good about running stuff by us.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• My son doesn't have a phone. His laptop is in a family area. He just watches YouTube stuff. He can be on it whenever he wants
    Matka_Kinder

Answer by Matka_Kinder at 8:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• I have a YouTube kids app on my tablet for my younger kids. YouTube for my older ones is one of the reasons I monitor their use. The older ones like anime and most of it seems fine but some of it isn't appropriate for kids and the filter on YouTube doesn't always catch it. My kids thought they were slick and turned the filter off. I bet they won't do it again anytime soon.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• They are allowed 7 hours of technology a week. That is TV, video games, and tablets. They purchase it in 30 min increments with coupons. They are only allowed to listen to a specific radio station without our permission....anything else must be pre-approved. My children are only allowed to watch certain things on TV, netflix or hulu. We are very cautious about what our kids are exposed to. The computers they use for schoolwork are locked down so tight that the ONLY website they can access is the school's site. Their tablets have the internet hidden so deep that I spent 30 mins looking for it to update the apps. I then had to figure out how to hide it again. My children are going to hopefully grow up having a semi-normal childhood with more playing outside and less technology than their peers. At least that is our plan.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:15 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• I like the idea of issuing coupons.
    HHx5

Comment by HHx5 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2016