Good Mom or Bad Mom - ???

Okay, last night my son,age 15, came to me at 11:40pm. A friend, female, had texted him about three of her friends that went to a party. The party was busted by the cops. This party was about 45 minutes away from where we live, our town.
Anyhow, I was told these girls needed a ride home. The girl that texted my son was at her home. So, I get dressed and drive the 45 minutes to find these girls. My son texting them the entire time. Well, the girl who drove could not find her car BUT she was in a car with a stranger, male,but with the other two girls. SO, the girl endup calling the drivers mom - I was told because she couldn't Find her car.
So, there were also boys at this party from our town. They literally took off into the pastures to get away from the cops. One went back because he drove there and was caught by the law and charged with minor in concumption.
So we drive back roads and find these four boys. One is in contact with his parents and the other two are worried their parents will find out.
The boy in contact with his parents - I drop him off with his parents, because he admitted that he'd been drinking, so his parents picked up his vehicle and the other one drove him home. His vehicle was parked in our town.
I drop the other two boys off at one of their homes, this mom wasn't home. She was in another town at her boyfriends house - so these kids were unsupervised.
When we found the fourth boy, there were probably at least 6 to 8 more kids left there. They called another boy from our town to come get them.
Yes, they all made it home.
So, we got back home around 1:30 am.

My question is as one of these kids parents - where would I stand with you?

I don't socialize with these parents but wondering what the comments would be about my actions.

I think and don't mind being the parent that kids could call, if too scared to call their parents.
Yes, if something too serious were to happen, yes I'd content the parents. These kids had been drinking but were not drunk.
I'd rather them call me, then to get in a vehicle with someone who was drunk.

Thought???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2016 in General Parenting

• You were very helpful and went out of your way to make sure everyone made it home safely. So if I was a parent of one of the kids involved, I'd be grateful for that. I would also want to know about it too tho. I'm sure you'd agree that if it was your child, you'd want to know about it too. But good for you for being "that mom", who steps up and does the right thing, no matter what time that call came in.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• I'm pretty certain between the kid being charged by the law and the parents who I dropped their son off, all the names came out.
    I don't associate with these parents and that's no excuses for not telling them.
    But I'd want the kids to feel like they could call again, if in a similar situation later in high school or beyond.
    That's where I'm torn... And no sure how the other parents would react...
    Yes, I'd want to know if my son was involved. He's no angel and has gotten into trouble himself but we have that relationship that he tells me (I'm sure not everything) And I've lost a friendship with another parent because it got back to me that she was going to allow this group of kids to drink at her house.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• In my book, YOU were a saint. Unless the parents are absolutely freaking idiots. I probably wouldn't have left any of those boys alone and unsupervised since they already had a track record of bad choices, though.

Here's the real deal... is YOUR conscience good with what you did? If so, the HELL with what anyone else thinks. You don't answer to them, only to the Woman In Your Mirror.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2016

• I would have told the kids they all needed to talk with their parents and let them know what happened and at the same time to call you if anything like this should ever happen again and don't feel like they can call their parents. The parents will tend to find out in the end. It's hard to keep these things secret but it's really about the kids "manning up" with their parents. If they think they're old enough to drink then they are old enough to tell their parents the truth.

Keep doing what you're doing. You never know how many lives you may have saved by helping all the kids out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:40 PM on Apr. 11, 2016