First period adult content

My oldest child, who is only 9 yrs old, got her first period yesterday. Needless to say, I'm freaking out because she's so young. I was 12 when mine started so, I really thought we had more time.

Anyway, any advice from you Mom's who have been through this? I explained the menstral cycle with her a bit but, I didn't go into the sex talk, since she's only 9.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Apr. 11, 2016 in Tweens (9-12)

• I didn't give the sex talk when my daughter got hers. She was 11. But we had talked at length about her period. I bought the American Girl doll book, Your Body... And of course, Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I keep up on when she should get it and remind her to wear a pad if it's coming. Honestly, her period feels like I have mine twice. But she's getting it now, and I'm backing off a bit.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:23 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• My mother had her first period at age nine, so she made sure I knew about the menstrual cycle at age six. It was really the only thing we covered until I had "health class" in fifth grade, which was taught in such a way that one of my friends swore, "I'm never letting a boy touch me!" Not that they used any scare techniques. They were just completely honest about pregnancy. Warts and all.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2016

• Time for the sex talk. Period means puberty. Period means she can get pregnant if she does have sex. Any signs of puberty?

Answer by louise2 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• I think at the age of 9, I would just be giving her the basics when it comes to info. Period 101. Now if she has questions, answer them honestly, of course. But that's like 3rd or 4th grade right? A bit young to traumatize the poor child! lol ;p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• She's extremely shy, I know that she wouldn't be ready for anything like sex yet. I did explain that she could now have babies if she had sex but, I didn't go into how it all worked.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2016

• Yes, she's just in the 3rd grade. And, hasn't even admitted to even crushing on anyone yet. So, the sex talk would overwhelm her, I think.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2016