Update! sleep study on infant etc

Ok so its been awhile since I've update here. So my original post was about my son getting a sleep study done at 6weeks old. Well when we received the results to the sleep study it showed my son having a sever upper air way obstruction. We were sent to an ENT a few days after. That ENT was a joke!! In his 5min exam (no joke maybe 5mins) said to use saline drips in his nose 3xs a day and everything would be fine. He completely ignored his test results. I did the saline drops like he said even though I though it was ridiculous. We had a follow up with my led the following week so I was going to get a new referral for a second opinion.

When we had our appointment with our ped she agreed with me that a second opinion was probably best and we tried for two weeks to get into our children's hospital. We had sent 3 asap referrals and got no where! Then ds got sick and it was awful he was so congested he couldn't breath :( I did /was already doing everything any ped would tell you to do. Rase bed at an incline,saline drops suck mucus out if nose, cool mist humidifier etc. I took him to the doc anyways just in case and she got me a new referral for another ENT. This ENT saw children but also saw adults and used to work at the children's hospital.

We went to the new ENT that week for the second opinion. This ENT was much much more helpful! He scoped my ds in office even though he wasn't to concerned just by listening to him(he always sounds super quiet for the doctors lol) and the scope didnt show anything "to concerning" but then he got my Ds's test results from the sleep study and was very concerned! He almost immediately got on the phone with a PEDs ENT and got us an appointment!! He made the phone call while we were in office and everything! He was awesome!!

So at our 3rd ENTs appointment she was beyond amazing! She listened to ds and my concerns (I recorded D's breathing so she could hear what I was hearing) and long story short she ended up admitting us into the hospital! My son was turning blue during our appointment! We saw our ENT and pulmonary and GI doctor. So during our 4 day stay at the hospital my son had a triple scope done and biopsies done. It showed D's had lots of mucus and inflammation in his upper air way and he has larnygomalica and bronchomalica. We also had D's tested for allergies because his Esophagus was inflamed and had bumps in there as well. So D's had to have a NG feeding tube put in place. He's on reflux medication and does breathing treatments 5xs a day. They also sent him home on a cardiac aresst monitor.

Ds is doing so much better since his hospital stay he's like a whole new baby!! That's my big update! Sorry took so long :)

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 15, 2016 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh my..... I'm happy to hear that you finally got the much needed help, but I'm sad to hear all the baby went through.

Thank you for the update. Hope he gets better soon.

This is why I get so angry when people don't get a second opinion.... NEVER go with the first diagnosis!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:53 PM on Apr. 15, 2016

• I am SO glad to hear that. Good for you for sticking to your guns!
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 2:13 AM on Apr. 16, 2016

• Glad you got that taken care of. Sounds like a scare thing to go through.

Answer by louise2 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 16, 2016

• Thanls ladies! Honestly the only reason I went with a second opinion is because the first ENT was such an ass and was very dismissive about the sleep study and my concerns plus saline drops dont do anything! If he had done more then a 5min exam and such then I probably would have never went for a second opinion! I'm glad I did though

It wasn't so scary actually I was really relieved to be hospitalized! I know that sounds werid but we were in an amazing hospital and we were getting answers. The worst part was having to place the NG feeding tube in and they had him on the wrong feeding dosage at first but it was corrected before we left he was a bit fussy and lost 6oz but he's gained it all back and is now 16lbs!
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Apr. 16, 2016