my son is 2 and the doctors wanna send him to speech therapy and therapy for his legs, is he still to young to determine if thats neccesary?

His doctor says that he sholud have more words in his vocab, and that he walks on his toes and needs therapy

Asked by Mommy2aPRINC210 at 9:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• I don't have a lot of personal experience in this area, but I do have a lot of family members who's children were put into speech therapy very early on.. Usually it's a problem with tongue movement that the dr picks up on and they want to try and correct it as early as possible before the child develops full speech abilities.
    As far as the legs, again, it's better something to get worked with early before habits are concreted and bones shape with bad habits. My doctor kept an eye on my daughter from the time she walked until two and her problems self corrected, if they hadn't he was going to send her to therapy.

Answer by shamernadi at 9:38 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• no he is not to early in fact the earlier the better. toe walking is something that needs to be looked at it is often the first or only symptom of another problem don't want to scare you but the earlier treatment starts the better the child will be.

Answer by Lyndall at 9:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• yeah truthfully the earlier the better. as they get older it gets harder to correct speech problems. as lyndall said toe walking can be a sign of something more serious. good luck i hope everything turns out ok.

Answer by mamacharms at 10:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The earlier you get help the better. Delayed speech and tip toe walking are two signs associated with autism. Does your child make good eye contact? Does he look at you when you enter a room? When you call his name? How does he interact socially with other kids? Best of luck!!

Answer by mamacat123 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If a problem is suspected, the early he gets help, the better.

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My children all did the tip toe walking and we did therapy and everything went well. No problems, just wide front arches that make it easier to walk without using their little heals. But, the therapy was very worthwile. If price is an issue, ask your doctor is their is a local Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) program in your area, it is government run so the program is often free, or super cheap, based on your income and if you have insurance they will file with them and usually take only what they get from the insurance. I wish I would have done speech with my 2 yr old, now 3 1/2 she has to see a therapist and they say it will take longer to correct the problems because she has gotten used to talking the way she does.
    Good Luck!!

Answer by Funx3 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• my 19mo twins are about to start speech therapy and my daughter is already doing physical therapy for complete right side muscle weakness.

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 11:05 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My now 9 year old son went through speech therapy starting at before 2 years of age. The earlier the better. There is so much important development that occurs at early ages you want them to get as much help as they can to reach their highest capabilities. My son went on to continue the speech therapy in elementary school until grade 1. Remember, lack of speech development is not an indication of intelligence. My son is making straight A's. Good luck to you!

Answer by mandemom at 10:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2008