Pregnant and nursing a toddler

So i am 5 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 2 year old. I was already try to plan on weaning her by or around her 3rd birthday which is in June. She nurses when i get off work for a nap and at night. My first question is any advice how to wean her without going cold turkey on her? Does Breastfeeding affect my pregnancy at all ? like with weight gain or anything? Does or will my milk change during my pregnancy? and what about once the baby is born? And i do enjoy letting my daughter nurse its very relaxing for both of us but i think 3 is big enough.

Cherriemama831

Asked by Cherriemama831 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 18, 2016 in Pregnancy

• I've nursed, but I've never been in your shoes, so I would suggest taking those questions to your OB/Gyn. I would assume that your milk supply would return once you've given birth. You are right to try to wean now so you doesn't resent the baby nursing when she can't. GL.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• Any advice how to wean her without going cold turkey on her? Sorry, no. The longest I nursed was 15 months.

Does Breastfeeding affect my pregnancy at all ? Not that I know of.
    like with weight gain or anything? see above

Does or will my milk change during my pregnancy? Yes
    and what about once the baby is born? Yes. It will adjust to the demands of the newborn.

I have a family member who's two girls are 364 days apart. The older one developed hives/an allergy to Mom's breastmilk, once she was pregnant again.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:45 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• Here's one link when I googled weaning a two year old, but there are many.  (I used to be able to put up links that were clickable, but can't seem to anymore, so cut and paste)

http://www.mamanatural.com/5-tips-on-weaning-toddler/  

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:58 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• The only thing I will tell you is. Start handing your kid a cup instead of a breast.

Answer by louise2 at 6:01 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• She does drink from a cup. She will only drink water . She doesn't just nurse for thirst or hunger it's more for comfort. Which I have enjoyed providing for her. I really don't care if anyone agrees with extended nursing I just asked for suggestions of weaning
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 6:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• At this point you are nursing for you, not for her. And you're not doing either child any favors.
    .Skye.

Answer by .Skye. at 7:30 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• So when my child crys to nurse after I told her no I do think want to right now it's for me lol. Like I said I want to wean her . Think it's funny when women leave comments that aren't answering the question. Didn't ask for anyone's opinion on nursing a toddler. I asked if anyone nursed while pregnant and how to make weaning easy.
    Cherriemama831

Comment by Cherriemama831 (original poster) at 8:17 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• I would speck with my OB/GYN and peditrician.  I would imagin as your baby grows it would be uncomfortable to breastfeed.  Here is a link with some info.  GL

DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 8:29 PM on Apr. 18, 2016

• I gave you an answer. Hand her a cup of whatever instead of a breast.
    I didn't breast feed. But it can't be any harder then taking the bottle away. I t I taught my kids how to drink out of a cup and threw the bottles away. Yes you will get some crying.

Answer by louise2 at 5:19 PM on Apr. 20, 2016