Any suggestions for how to have this go as smoothly as possible?

So my DD3 was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure due to kidney issues, and she has to have blood work done today. Anybody else have a small child have blood drawn before that has suggestions to keep her calm as possible?

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 8:15 AM on Apr. 20, 2016 in Kids' Health

• Take her favourite toy and talk to her the whole time it's happening. A good nurse can do a blood draw without the child feeling it. Prepare her in advance for what they will do, give details, but above all, do not say "it might hurt" (once the idea has been sown she will focus on it). Maybe tell her you can go for a treat after it's over? Mine were open to bribery of hot chocolate and croissants at that age! lol

goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 8:27 AM on Apr. 20, 2016

• Bribery usually works with her, too. Hopefully it will this time.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 8:46 AM on Apr. 20, 2016

• Have her look to the opposite side from where the blood is being drawn, so sh'e looking at you and the toy. And I agree that you should be calmly talking to her the entire time.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:42 AM on Apr. 20, 2016

• How has she reacted to getting shots in the past? My kids are total opposites. My 8 year old son hates needles to the point you have to hold him down. As soon as he finds out he has to have one he can go off the wall. Luckily he only needed his vacs and had to have blood drawn once last year. WIC was a nightmare with the finger prick even. On the other hand we have his younger sister who's 7 and is fasinated with them. If you told her to look away it wouldn't work. She wants to watch. If you didn't let her she would be more upset. She even wanted to try and give her calf a shot when he needed it but I don't think she's quite ready for that.

I'd take my lead from her. Talk to her and let her decide what she wants to do. Have a soft cuddly there for her and talk to her softly the entire time but if she wants let her. Sometimes the unknown is worse then the known.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:51 AM on Apr. 20, 2016

• We just got finished. It took a good bit of persuading for her to sit in the chair and she cried a lot but I couldn't get her to look away or distract her any. She didn't fight any. She hates the sight of blood, so I'm pretty sure that why she cried so much.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 2:09 PM on Apr. 20, 2016

• No good suggestions here. Push comes to shove. Just put her on your lap and hold her arm out clamp your hand around her wrist. And let the vampire do the job. Tell th child to close the eyes.

Answer by louise2 at 3:11 PM on Apr. 20, 2016

• I'm glad that she did ok.

When my DD was 5 we had labs drawn. I had her sit in my lap and we talked and I used one hand to help keep her head turned she she wouldn't look at what the tech was doing. My DD didn't feel anything after the put the tourniquet on. She was superb, so I took her out for a donut.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:52 PM on Apr. 20, 2016

• Aww, poor thing. Glad she did OK. If this is going to become part of her life (regular blood tests) she might get used to it. I was allowed to have mine sit in my lap and I could turn their head to look the other way, or distract them. I'm all for bribery too! lol ;p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 21, 2016