I need some advice. My son's first trip with his grandma, just the two of them.

So my son want's to go with my ex husbands mom to Atlanta for next weekend. I've never felt she was responsible and I'm very nervous. I might just be nervous because he's my boy but she's very naive, flighty and trusts total strangers. She does have him every Wednesday since his dad got his new job. A new visitation is in the near future.

He is 11 so at least he's not really young. She wants to take him up to the Renaissance Fair and to see his grandpa. His dad can't go because of his job. Should I let him go? He has his own phone so I can call him whenever I want. Would you let your kid go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Apr. 21, 2016 in Relationships

• How far will they be travelling. Will there be flights involved? Will she be driving? How sensible is your son? Has he ever been anywhere with her before?

Every situation is different and can present a variety of challenges but I'm one of the kind who would encourage this kind of thing because, as a child, I went to some weird and wonderful places with my grandmother and these experiences are some of my fondest childhood memories ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 11:35 AM on Apr. 21, 2016

• Yes, they will have fun.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:52 AM on Apr. 21, 2016

• She will be driving. We're in Jacksonville and she'll be going to Atlanta Georgia. My son is pretty responsible. He hasn't been anywhere this far with her before.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• As much as I'd want to let him go for the fun experience, I don't think I would because of her flakiness/naivete/flightiness.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:27 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• How good of a driver is she? How old is she?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• How old is she? Is she healthy? I take my Grandkids on trips all the time. Need a bit more info.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 2:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• Is that Jacksonville in Georgia or some other state? Is it a day trip or overnight?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:30 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• It's Jacksonville Florida and it's for two nights and three days. She is at least in her mid 60's to upper 60's. She's in remission from cancer. Her latest was skin cancer a month ago.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• I don't know how good of a driver she is. I've never been in the car.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2016

• If you decide to let him go, tell him to text you frequently so you can judge how he's doing. If his G-pa will be there too, at least there's another trusted adult involved.

How does your son feel about the trip? Is he looking forward to it?
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2016