Debating on allowing my 9yo DD to get the HPV vaccination or wait until she's 11. Has anyone had it giving this young?

I'm still researching it like the nurse told me to but I thought I saw where they said for 11 or 12 years of age. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 10:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2016 in Kids' Health

• My son was 11 when his doctor wanted him to this one. I wanted some time to talk with him about it and give him information to make his own mind up. His doctor was annoyed when we said no right then and there. He's now 12 and still hasn't gotten it.

HPV and Flu shots are the only thing I refuse. HPV because it's too new and seemed to be pushed through the approval process pretty fast. Flu shots because we get them and we get sick. We don't get them and we don't get sick.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:55 AM on Apr. 25, 2016

• IMO,I'd skip it until she's ready for sex
    I've turned it down for my son for the last 4 years. He's never getting it
    Matka_Kinder

Answer by Matka_Kinder at 1:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• My kids were already adults when this HPV vaccination stuff came out. So I had no control over if my kids got it or not..
    But if they would have been of the age to be able to receive it under my control. Whatever age they could have received it. They would have. I am a believer in shots.

Answer by louise2 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• This is the one vax that there is NO WAY IN HELL that I'd consent to!! I did a ton of research and there are just too many unanswered questions and unexplained issues attach to this one!!
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 4:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• Have to agree with Ramble on this way. To me it was pushed thru to fast and it just to iffy in my book. I've still got 4-5 years and I may reconsider by then but for right now I'd say NO to getting it. I also don't get flu shots nor do my kids.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• My oldest is 9 and actually has a wellness Dr. appt tomorrow. I didn't think they'd ever attempt to give her that vax this young. If they ask, I'm saying no. I find the vaccine to be questionable myself, as well.
    RoboBuddy

Answer by RoboBuddy at 5:10 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• Thanks, I normally do the standard required and just started allowing them the fju shot for the first time this year. I think I want to wait until she's older. Especially since the nurse isn't too keen on her having it and and telling me to research it before making a decision. I've known this nurse since they were born and I trust her opinion. So that's what we might do.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 6:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• devilFunny thing you mention this DH & I are in a debate about this very topic he is for the vaccine being given to our 11yo DS and I am against it.He has actually scheduled a "meeting" with the DR to try to persuade me.

liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2016

• From what I've read so far 9 seems so young to do anything like this. I doubt if we're going to do it unless he can convince me otherwise.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Apr. 26, 2016

• As Rosehawk mentioned the Flu and HPV shots are two I would never consider consenting to letting my kids have. It is just ridiculous to get a shot just to get sick. With HPV I'm still at a loss as to how it came about. Where did it come from? If that question can't be answered I'm certainly not going to let me kids, who are not teens, get it. I try to put my conspiracy theories aside for the most part but something is just to fishy about it for me.
    richsinglemomma

Answer by richsinglemomma at 9:52 AM on Apr. 28, 2016