Can't figure out where to send him

I took my son out of one school because we had a horrible time and have been homeschooling him since. I think it's best if I put him back in school. The local area schools are poor and the one school I visited has really nice people but I dislike that the 2nd grade classrooms are in trailers attached to the school so for lunch and gym they have to walk outside (short distance) to enter the main building. I live in a cold state...kind of bothers. The benefit is its super close to me.

I have the limited option for school of choice but since he has an IEP if I go outside county lines he will not get services. I'm going to have another baby at the end of August/beginning of September and worry about my ability to drive him (local or further out) and not be as present as I would like.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:09 PM on Apr. 28, 2016 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The school being near your home is a very positive thing. Your liking the staff is a positive thing. Him having to walk a short distance between classrooms is, frankly, a non-issue.

I attended a school whose population expanded faster than they could build buildings. The result was that, for certain classes, I had to walk over half a mile and cross the river to get to my next lesson ... and it could be bitter in the north of Scotland in wintertime but as we all chatted all the way there and back we never noticed.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:12 AM on Apr. 29, 2016

• I don't think the trailer is a big deal. They probably bring coats, right?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:14 PM on Apr. 28, 2016

• Fresh air is GOOD for children, they don't get enough of it while in school. It's great that the 2nd graders get a little extra. I mean you let him walk to the car, or from the car to the school right? Or would you rather keep him in a bubble?? Your choice. (and yes, I am being intentionally snarky... nothing personal! :)
    Ramble_on

Answer by Ramble_on at 11:33 PM on Apr. 28, 2016

• Heavens to mergatroid!!! How do they get from the car to the school? Or from the bus? Do they have recess? OUTSIDE!?!?!

*GASP*
    PGA

Answer by PGA at 1:39 AM on Apr. 29, 2016

• Back when the dinosaurs roamed I had 2nd grade in a trailer and the school district was wealthy. I loved it. We even walked to kindergarten back then in the snow! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:59 AM on Apr. 29, 2016