breastfeedin

well when i had my daughter she wouldnt brestfeed now she is 4 months and i want to try agian but i have no milk what can i do?

avahsmommie

Asked by avahsmommie at 3:49 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think there is anything you can do. Even if you take some pills or whatever to help and you do get a little milk, the chances that she will WANT to latch on after being bottle fed isnt very high. Breastfeeding is harder then bottle feeding. The suckiling is different.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:52 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• You can relactate. I have a frined who did after 5 months so I know it can be done! She had to use an SNS at first but after a while he took off and nursed until he was about 15 months old. Moms even BF adopted babies.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/relactation.html
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• YOU CAN DO IT MAMA!!!!! I reccomend domperidone (NOT reglan, it gave me seizures!) Also, drink mothers milk tea and take fenugreek. Pump every couple hours and get into see a LC asap with expirience in relactating. Also, contact your local LLL leader for supp[ort. She can get you the help you need. YOU CAN DO THIS! I promise. It is best for your baby and what she will thrive on. Even if she doesn't latch right away, you can still pump. I wish you all the best luck int he world at giving your baby the best!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:55 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry. i didnt mean to sound none supportive. It would be great if you could do it! ...but it might be hard.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I second the SNS big time. That will get her used to the breast and get your breasts stimulation.
    Outstanding love, even though things are hard, I do whats BEST for my child. If you didn't have anything constructive to add to the post and have never dealt with this, I don't even know why you answered. You did sound negative and I hope you havn't discouraged this mama.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:00 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I just want to say that this is awesome! Relactating is something that most people are unaware of - I wish someone would have told me I could relactate with my oldest.

It might be a long road ahead mama, but every drop of breastmilk will be well worth it. Good luck!!
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:17 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• get in touch with your local la leche league and get some face to face support for relactating.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:47 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• I am a former LLL leader and it can be done but it's not easy. We used to have a gadget with a fine clear tube that ran from a bag of pumped/donated milk and you place the end of the tube right at your nipple so the baby was giving you the stimulation you need to produce milk. This was over 20 years ago so there is probably something more modern now.

Good Luck!!
    LibraryLady200

Answer by LibraryLady200 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• navy wife. ...if i had not realized that i sounded negative i would not have posted an appology. If i did not want her to do what was best for her child i would not have said that i thought it would be great if she could. I have never personally dealt with this issue but have known a few moms who have and those moms werent able to get the baby to latch on.
    so once agian, i appologize if i sounded negative. that was not my intention. but i dont believe that just because i said it would be hard that that wasnt constructive. i just needed to pay better attention to how i worded what i said.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:48 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Relactating can be difficult, but like all other good things is worth it!

Stimulation is key, so having an SNS while you work on your supply would be vital. Pump on the other breast while "nursing" and pump as much as you can in between. Try fenugreek and mother's milk tea to help increase/create supply. YOU CAN DO IT! I personally know a woman who induced lactation for her adoptive children having NEVER been pregnant....you have an advantage because you have been pregnant and have a little one.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 11:32 PM on Feb. 23, 2009