When do you begin to ween a 12 month old from a bottle?

My son just turned 1 yr old. I see that no time soon he is gonna give up his bottle. Is it to early to start trying. I have tried several different cups on him from about 6 months of age. There is only one cup that he has anything to do with. He was very picky about what type of bottle/nipple he drank from too. Could this be the problem? He only likes a certain type or maybe he's just not ready? My middle child quit bottles at 6 months. She refused to drink them anymore and went straight to a regular drinking cup. Every child is different so I thought I would ask for some advice.

th78

Asked by th78 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Now is a good time to start. Just do it slow.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:03 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Well, with my 3 I started to ween them from the bottle at 1 and had it accomplished shortly there after. My last child was the hardest. I just started out with a cup whenever they ate (this started earlier then a year). A bottle is no longer the primary means of nutrients since at 1 they are eating food so I just kept giving it to them less and less. I started out with those really soft sippy cups and then we always went to the Playtex Sippy cups.
    Anonymous

• Just keep trying! At 1 they're old enough to learn to use a sippy cup. My girlfriend said her daughter was picky and so she bought tons of different types of sippy cups and ended up just completely confussing the girl! Just pick one and go for it...he'll drink out of it if he's thirsty. I'd started by giving my daughter her bottle for the 1st drink in the AM and then a bottle for at bedtime - but sippy the rest of the day. Just keep offering it and he'll get it!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Find a sippy cup or straw cup he'll drink from first. Once he will drink from it, get rid of the bottles. If he CAN drink from something else, he doesn't need the bottle.

A year old is fine to do it. Mine were done with bottles at 6 months and on straws at a year.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:36 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i would try getting him more of the one kind of cup he does like. before you go right to offering a bottle to satisfy his thirst, try the sippy cup first EVERYTIME. put all the bottles out of sight if they arent already. if after a while he is frustrated with the sippy cup you have offered, give him a bottle to finish the rest of his drink. do not give a bottle to him the moment he starts crying though. he will only think that if he cries he gets what he wants. When you do finally give the bottle to him, explain to him why he should use the sippy cup instead. He may not understand, but hearing the words over and over again and the repitition of you giving the cup first will sink in eventually.
    ashlyh123

Answer by ashlyh123 at 7:14 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:45 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• i started at 12 months but i have heard it is easier at 15 months the hardest bottle to get rid of is definetly the bed time bottle
    111807mom

Answer by 111807mom at 10:01 AM on Feb. 24, 2009