• In the Spotlight:

im curious...

if you were to go to the dr for a pelvic exam, would your dr be able to tell if you are pregnate just by doing the exam even if you didnt know. im having some issues right now and being pregnate could explain alot of whats wrong with me. i took 5 tests-i wanted to be sure and they all came back negative. then i went to my dr to be put on a different kind of birth control and told him of all the issues i have been having and his explaination was that they were "side affects of coming off the depo shot". then he did the exam and we were done. i still havent started my period and my depo shot was due 1-1-09-which i didnt get it then. have been using protection...i guess im a little freaked out. BUT OUT OF CURIOUSITY-CAN A DR TELL IF YOU A PREGNATE, JUST BY DOING A PELVIC EXAM? LOL thanks for letting me vent. :D

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't think so, not just from a regular pelvic examine. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I would have asked for a blood test to be on the safe side.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Ive heard its possible because of how the cervix looks and such when you are pregnant vs not.

Ive also heard that many women take a long time to get the depo shot out of their system. So it very well could just be that getting out of your body and your body trying to get back to "level".
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 4:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• no a pelvic exam alone cannot tell you if you are pregnant or not.
    Anonymous

• I don't know.... wouldn't he have said something?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:12 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• no not from my experience, I went to my doctor to get put on bc pills and was pregnant and didn't know it and she didn't mention it during the exam and gave me a perscription for the pills...that I never got to start lol
    Anonymous

• i guess im just afraid of being pregnate and not knowing. when i found out i was pregnate with my son i had no clue. i was on the depo, missed a shot, and got pregnate. i had no clue since i didnt have periods then either. i went for a depo shot and had to take a pregnacy test and found out i was pregnate. i was in complete shock. i probably a little paranoid.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Yes, the pelvic exam can determine pregnancy:
    http://www.webindia123.com/health/women/pregnancy/pretest.htm

"The doctor does the pelvic exam usually after six week from the last menstrual period, to confirm pregnancy. The physician inserts two fingers into the vagina alongside the cervix while the other hand presses the lower abdomen and directs the pelvic organs towards the examining fingers. The more relaxed your abdominal and vaginal muscles, the more comfortable and thorough will be the exam. The main purpose of pelvic exam in early pregnancy is to evaluate the size of the uterus, tubes and ovaries. The doctor determines how many weeks you have been pregnant by evaluating uterine enlargements, initially detectable about 4 weeks after conception. Besides uterine enlargement he also looks for two other findings indicative of pregnancy, uterine softening and a slight bluish colourisation of the cervix. "

Answer by Bmat at 4:19 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• LOL..the first time I was pregnant I went in to be seen because I was sure I had another kidney infection. My Dr did a pelvic and looked at me funny. Then he said..go pee in a cup then we'll talk. I came back and he said well we have bad news and better news I think. Bad news is I'm admitting you for a kidney infection. The other news is your pregnant. I asked if he just routinely ordered the test. He said "yes..but..I figured you were pregnant" I asked how..he said my crevix and vulva were 'dark..almost purple" I must have looked at him with a stupid look because he went on to explain a lot of women look that way after several weeks of pregnancy due to increased blood flow and hormones.
    I wouldn't say a Dr can 'tell'..but they can certainly suspect.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:21 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• a pelvic exam in the JUST FOR FUN section. ....that made me laugh. (sorry...I've got a weird sense of humor)..lol
    In answer to your question..no I don't think a pelvic exam alone could determine pregnancy.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• depends on how pregnant you are if it's very early they wouldn't be able to tell but it can take up to a year for periods to return after stopping depo longer for some less for others. i was on depo for about 9 months and had bleeding for the entire 9 months gained alot of weight and was an emotional wreck!!!!
    aalicea615

Answer by aalicea615 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2010